From:
Barbara Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 00:20:45 -0500

Hi all!

You all have been such a great help since I joined up.  thank you to
everyone.

My 2 year old son is not a celiac but has a severe gluten and wheat allergy as
many others

After a bad allergic reaction to peanuts i took him to an allergist that his
Pediatrician reccomended.  he is also asthamatic.

His results came back.  not only was he allergic to gluten eggs and peanuts
he was also allergic to the following: rice , corn, oatmeal, barley, beef,
milk, tomatoes,carrots, and several other things.  Out of about 25 foods he
was tested for he only showed no sensitivity to tunafish.

Well his allergist was no help.  he only said it is rare for someone to be so
allergic.  His written medical advice was egg free diet, milk free diet,
avoid wheat.  He couldnt answer half of my questions....not because the
answers were unattainable he just couldnt help me.

Half of the things my son tested allergic to I have never seen a reaction.
 the other things like wheat, eggs and peanuts.....it was clear that he was
allergic.

How good are these blood tests?  Has anybody else seen this kind of thing?

His IgE test came back the first time about 1100...the second time about 550.
 normal results for a kid his age should be about 15 or so I am told.

I am getting a second opinion because this doctor was no help.  I left more
confused and frustrated than I was to start with.

Any help or advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.  You all
have been such a help in the past.  Sorry that this is a little long.

Thanks

Barbara
Long Island, New York