From:
Toni Alley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Toni Alley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:40:47 -0500

I have migraines and am currently involved in a dispute with a new doctor
about what to do about them.  I've taken Tylenol 3 as needed for years and
if I take it early enough in the migraine event they usually pass within
three to four hours without making me physicaly ill.  If I wait too long
they don't do much good and I end up being sick for about 24 hours.  This
new doctor says it's "potentially addictive" (as if I didn't know that) and
won't prescribe it.  Mostly my migraines seem to be related to my hormonal
cycle but sometimes they come for other reasons, too.

Sleep quality and tingling in my hands and feet are part of my trouble in
the bigger picture and the doctor I saw prescribed a very low dose of
Trazodone with the thinking that it would improve sleep quality and help
with the migraines and tingling as well.  I'm not opposed to trying
something new, but I'd made it clear to her that I can't tolerate lactose
or gluten.  I was pretty disgusted when I had the pharmacist confirm that
Trazodone was GF and lactose free and was told that contains lactose as a
filler.

I think I'm going to be looking for yet another new doctor, but in the
meantime I'm leaving for a vacation on Wednesday, am down to two Tylenol 3
tablets and am wondering if anyone can suggest an over-the-counter migraine
medication that is GF and lactose free?  Other suggestions for managing
migraines will also be appreciated.

I will be staying where I can do my own cooking and plan to be incredibly
careful about diet, but traveling is hard on me and often wears me down,
leaving me more susceptiable to migraines.

When I get back I will be checking into other alternatives for the tingling
and sleep thing, as well as the migraines.

Any suggestions will be appreciated for both the short-term issue of what
to do if I get sick while I'm gone and for suggestions to make to a
physician when I follow up on things when I get back from my trip.  I have
moved to a new community and am having trouble finding a physician who is
empathetic to what I'm dealing with.

Thanks,
Toni.