Mary Gallahue <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 02:30:55 EST

I have just taken a blood test to determine additional allergies.  (I
initially found out through allergy testing that I probably had CD or at least
gluten intolerance.  Never had the biopsy because of a wheat  allergy.)  The blood
test, relatively new, is considered much more  sensitive than the skin tests
that have been around for many years.

I received a high flag in several of the food ratings and I also seem to
have an allergy to cultivated oats.  My research has shown "... that avena
sativa, cultivated oats, is the same species that is grown for food.  This
cultivar has been selected for ornamental use."  Does this mean that all  food oats,
rolled and cut, are cultivated oats?  Is this the plant that  grows by the
side of the road?  Although I read all labels, it looks like I  will have to
practice further avoidance.

Our list serve has knowledgeable people who have a grains background.   Could
they shed some light on the subject for a person who has to admire gardens
from afar because of allergies to many growing plants?

Much obliged . . .
Mary
California

*******