From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 1995 10:18:40 -0400

Even in western Canada we have heard some of this case and even I cannot
believe or understand how parents could do something like this to a helpless
child.

I too spent about 6 mths trying to get my son diagnosed, he was 14 mths when
we started our "crusade" with the doctors.  He went thru ultrasounds for
tumor testing because his tummy was so distended, he had the cystic fybrosis
testing done, numerous blood, urine, stool samples taken, some medication
(very expensive) given, and of course the "give him a couple weeks and see
how he comes around".  He was starting to look like a starving child but of
course the doctors and our friends could tell we were doing everything in
our power to try and get help for him.  This is why I can't understand
parents not helping their children when they are powerless to help
themselves.  I would figure ANYONE in the situation we were in would, no
matter how many doctors and red tape, they would persevere and get the help
for their children.  Of course if I had even heard of CELIAC prior to my son
getting sick I would have been able to figure out his problem but it seemed
everything I fed him made him sick and I couldn't just stop feeding him.

As far as I am concerned, IMHO, these parents don't even deserve a jail
sentence for what they did to their son, they deserve what they gave him.

Hopefully I too have not offended anyone with my opinions.

Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada