From:
"Michael W. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 1995 05:58:03 -0400

> Being that I am new to this, please explain :  What exactly is a celiac
> card?  How does one obtain such a card?

A celiac card is commonly referred to as a restaurant card.  This card contains
a short statement of the GF diet with some of the most common items that are
avoided.  It is designed as a aid that can be passed to the kitchen to get the
Chef's attention.

It does not list all of the nebulous and toxic proteins, but highlight some and
is designed to show the seriousness of the diet.  Hopefully, the Chef will ask
question about every item that might be remotely dangerous.  It makes the
explanimation process easier when you are weak in another language or cannot
talk directly with the Chef.

Most national support groups have them.  This List is attempting to verify one
created by another listmember.  After, we have submitted it to a few members
for verification of the language, an announcement on its availability will be
in a future message.

Regards,

Michael W. Jones ([log in to unmask])
One of the CELIAC LISTSERV owners ([log in to unmask])
One of the CEL-PRO LISTPROC owners ([log in to unmask])
One of the CEL-KIDS LISTSERV owners ([log in to unmask])