From:
Jill Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:06:44 -0800

Following is the list of noodle recipes I have received in response to my
inquiry:

1.  Betty Hagman has a new book out (it's called something like "Gluten-Free
cooks fast and fat-free") that contains a noodle recipe like what you were
talking about.

2.  Egg Noodles for Beef/Chicken and Noodles
1 dozen eggs
1/8 cup water
2 tsp salt
2 tsp. xanthum gum

I (hand mix) and add approximately 2 cups of GF Flour to make a nice batter.
May have to adjust the amount of flour you use. I then pour an extra 1/2 cup
of flour onto cutting surface and drop a glob of the batter and pat into
ball of dough that can then be rolled out into 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness.

You will have to hand cut the noodles (wider works better) or I cut into 2
inch squares.  Can let dry out or cook immediately by cooking them in low
boil chicken or beef broth (can add additional water or potato water from
making mashed pototoes).  They need to cook for approximately 20-30 minutes.

I sort of make them like I used to using regular flour, but it is a little
trickier.

3. "Real Food" Noodles
Lieven
1/2 c. Cream of Rice cereal
1/4 c. oriental rice flour
1/4 c. potato starch
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

  2 large eggs
  1 Tbs. vegetable oil

Mix dry ingredients together.  Stir in eggs & oil  Mix well.  Cover w/
plastic wrap & let set for 15 min.  Divide dough in 2-3 parts.  Roll between
a sheet of waxed paper & a sheet of plastic wrap.  Use potato starch to keep
dough from sticking.  Roll very thin. Cut w/ a knife or pizza cutter for
noodles-wide or narrow.  Use immediately or dry at room temp for several
hours, then freeze.  Cook in boiling water for 3-5 min, until done.  Drain &
rinse.  Use immediately or put in casserole.   Makes 2-3 cups cooked
noodles.

Recipe can be doubled.

4.  I made a pasta base mix as follows:

2 C. Tapioca Flour
2 C. Cornstarch
3/4 C. Potato Starch
1 t. Salt
5 T. xanthan gum

Mix the above ingredients together and store in the cupboard in a glass jar
or air tight plastic container.

When you want to make noodles, just dip out 1 C.  mix, add 1 egg plus 2 egg
white, and 1 T.  vegetable oil.  Stir together til forms a ball.  Knead
gently on cornstarch covered board and then roll out thin.  I use a pizza
cutter to cut them into the desired size.  I think that I usually cut them
about 1/2 inch wide and maybe 3 inches long.  Boil them for 10-12 minutes.

They are very good.  My husband couldn't tell the difference from regular
homemade noodles which he dearly loves.  The best part about the whole
process is that it takes about 10 minutes to get them mixed, cut and into
the pot.  Hope you like them.  Good luck!

5. "Riffles"-- (like dumplings)

1/3 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 Tablespoons potato starch flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tablesppon xanthan gum
3 large eggs
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
28 oz or more of GF chicken broth
cooked chicken, in chunks
salt and pepper to taste

Put the GF chicken broth in a large pot with the cooked chicken. Add salt
and pepper to taste.

Combine the dry ingredients. Beat the eggs lightly and add the vegetable
oil. The mixture will be very eggy.

Drop the egg and flour mixture by spoonfuls into boiling chicken broth. Cook
until tender.

(May want to double the recipe as we do often--great as leftovers!)

6. I think you'd be surprised if you tried Bette Hagman's pasta noodle
dough. Boiled, it does remind me of the egg noodles I used to use in beef
dishes. I don't like them as a gf substitute for Italian style pasta. I love
them fried, as Chinese noodles.

7.  First I try the same recipe as grandma used.  I always use a mixture of
flours--garbonzo,tapioca, corn starch, sweet rice flour and milo with 1/2
teaspoon of Xanthan gum.  Cook not as long as wheat flour.

8. EGG NOODLES
1 Cup Tapioca Flour
1 Cup Corn Starch
6 TBS Potato Starch Flour
1 1/2 tsp Salt
3 TBS Xantham Gum
6 large Eggs
3 TBS Vegetable Oil

Mix dry ingredients.  Beat eggs and oil lightly in separate dish.  Add eggs
and oil mixture to flours.  Stir, knead and roll.

Boil in meat stock or broth.

Hope you all enjoy.     Jill Young