From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 10:43:25 PDT

Comments from Don Kasarda, Albany, CA

I have talked with the inventor of Oatrim about what it is and how it is
prepared.  The main constituent of this fat replacement product is
carbohydrate, specifically malto-dextrins from oats.  These are prepared by
fungal amylase digestion of the starch in oats.  Although there is not
likely to be much contamination from oat proteins in the final product,
slight contamination cannot be ruled out.  It would require some extensive
research work to devise a method for measuring oat proteins or peptides at
very low levels in the final product--and there may be none there. Because
Oatrim is likely to be incorporated as a minor component of a food product,
at most in 1:4 ratio with other constituents, this further diminishes the
amount of oat proteins or peptides that might turn up in the final product.
However, anyone who is allergic to oats may wish to avoid Oatrim. If there
is any wheat contamination of the oats used to make the product, then wheat
proteins or peptides might also make it into the final product, but because
the amount of such contamination is likely to be very small, the chances for
wheat proteins or peptides being passed along is also very small, much
smaller than the possibility for the presence of oat proteins or peptides.

As for celiac patients, some may not wish to take a chance on products
containing Oatrim.  It seems likely to me that the risk is extremely small
insofar as I think the data on oats (at least in pure form) being harmless
to celiac patients look quite good.

This is not to be considered medical advice. My comments are correct to the
best of my knowledge, but I hope it is clear that absolute statements are
not possible.