From:
"Andrew, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew, Chris
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2009 12:19:53 -0700

Hi All,

As always, thanks so much for such great information that you passed my
way on the subject of concern. Here are some of the responses I got. The
main message I got is speak to the manager or chef and communicate what
I cannot have as well as contamination issues. Many people bring their
own soy sauce with them.

You have to ask about the ginger dressing; sometimes they put soy sauce
in it.  Browsing online, some seaweed sheets have soy sauce in them, but
I've never had a problem with the restaurants I've eaten out in.  I just
take a travel-size bottle of gf soy sauce with me.  Wasabi is safe.
(And you can buy the powder and make your own, from www.spicebarn.com)

Be careful of the sushi that has fish eggs in it as many Japanese brand
fish eggs are wheat based. You have to ask the chef and if they don't
know the ingredients then avoid the ones that have the fish eggs.

I can't imagine eating sushi without soy sauce, so I carry Kari-Out GF
soy sauce packets with me: http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=7667 .
They're very cheap and small, so I can use it at the sushi bar without
making an issue of it.

We eat a fairly limited range of sushi, mainly nigiri (fish chunk +
rice) and Philadelphia rolls, with some veggie type rolls, like cucumber
or avocado. Sometimes it's more about eating with friends than having a
big meal, and sushi is one of the easiest options for that for us. I
might also order a salad on the side, for which I carry our own dressing
packets, which also come from minimus.biz.

Imitation crab off limits.

We eat the salmon and tuna rolls with no problem.  Def. avoid the fake
crab meat often found in Calif. rolls. Not a fan of ginger or wasabi.

Stay away from the 'oyster'  & 'eel' sauces.

I eat sushi at a local restaurant and I have become good friends with
the owner. They supply San-J Organic Tamari Wheat Free Soy Sauce for the
customers with wheat/gluten allergy. Some of the specials on the menu
can be made using this soy sauce. Get to know the manger and chef.  Be
sure to eat real crab, not the imitation because it has wheat. Fish is
fine as long as it isn't tempura. Another restaurant I go to didn't
understand the diet but after education them and taking them my soy
sauce they now offer wheat free items on the menu. They will tell you to
as for FRESH chicken or meat, things that have not been marinated.

When I travel and my family wants sushi I take my own soy sauce into the
restaurant.

I either take my own gf soy sauce (San-J Wheat Free Tamari is excellent
in case you haven't found one you like yet) or eat sushi without any soy
sauce.  I don't ever eat any dressing on a salad, ginger or otherwise,
don't have any soup, don't have any sushi with a sauce on it and don't
have any imitation crab as that contains wheat.  I don't eat the ginger
as who knows what that contains.  I guess you could ask lots of
questions about the ingredients in all these things but I find it easier
to do what I know is safe for me.

I do have sushi that is just fish on sushi rice or a roll with seaweed
paper and sushi rice as long as there are no sauces and no imitation
crab.  I have never had a problem with sushi rice or wasabi in a
restaurant though if I am buying pre-made sushi in a grocery store I
carefully read the ingredients.  Some places the pre-made sushi is not
as "pure" and therefore the rice, wasabi... have many more ingredients.
I tend not to buy sushi from those grocery stores.

Here's what I do for Sushi:

1.  Bring my own GF sauce, when possible.  There's wheat free Tamari
sauce that I can find at the regular grocery store, that I bring with me
when I go out locally.  When I'm on the road I have some small "ketchup"
packs of Bragg's liquid aminos, which are a good substitute.

2.  I avoid the salads.

3.  I eat the miso soup, which doesn't have wheat or MSG.

4.  I don't worry about the wasabi.

5.  Sushi rice: I haven't had any challenges with the Sushi rice, with
rolls, or Sushi in general.

6.  I avoid any kind of tempura, and any rolls that have tempura in
them.

7.  Sauces... yeah, no sauces.  No broiled eel, or steak etc...

8.  Cross Contamination: I haven't had a challenge with this, but I'm
not going to vouch for the chefs.  As you know, chefs clean their knives
in between cuts etc, but don't necessarily wash them.  Same is true of
the cutting boards.

9.  Warm sake to wash it all down.

I was in San Francisco two weeks ago, and ate sushi four nights out of
seven, and didn't have any challenges.

Avoid the ginger dressing (although some of these MIGHT be all right)
and fake crab. No miso soup. Sushi rice is OK and I've never heard of a
wasabi with gluten. Same with the ginger slices. Apparently the roe CAN
have gluten but not always. Generally speaking, anything with
vegetables, avocado, rice, seaweed, and good old raw fish is going to be
safe.