Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 12:53:51 -0700

These are some great postings today! So, though I usually try to
restrain myself, I would like to share my thoughts on these
subjects.
Yes, lets create awareness of our disease, for several very good
reasons.
1) If not for yourselves, for the sake of others who suffer our disease.
Although this disease has been known to the medical community for years
and thousands of people have it - I was unaware that I had it or what it
was for years.  I went undiagnosed for years and I wasted 10 years,
simply suffering.  If we can create awareness in the general population,
we may be able to save others from the hell that we've gone through.
(I don't have to go into the "taxpayer cost" or "rising insurance costs"
stuff, do I?)  I've read about clinical experiments where schizophrenia
has been controlled through the elimination of wheat from the diet.  I
know my emotions, my enthusiasm and therefore my perceptions are
affected by gluten, so why not schizophrenia, or attention deficit
disorder?  I've read about autism being helped through diet.  Doctors
are now admitting that diet is a critical factor in heart disease and
cancer. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (EXCUSE ME, I just had to laugh because
of all the money spent researching drugs and surgical techniques when
the answer was DIET) Some of the less mainstream doctors are saying that
all disease begins as an allergy or autoimmune response. hmmm...you
know... I think we are doing the general population a favor by
enlightening them about our disease, because it might get them thinking
about how they might help themselves.  Maybe that waitress will have a
lightbulb go off in her head and think about her autistic son's behavior
after eating a glutenous roll.

2)  Another reason is the opportunities it creates for
entrepreneurs!  Any economic student can tell you there is money
to be made filling a need.  And we have a need for glutenfree products.
 The more people that know about it the more products we are going to
see.  You've heard the saying, "vote with your dollars".  That can apply
in this case.

Well, to sum it up.  We have an awareness that others don't have about
gluten and diet.  We ARE part of this society and we have much to
contribute (some contributions are despite our disease and some because
of our disease).  Let's get out there and integrate our WHOLE selves
into that great swirling mass of humanity.

Maria