From:
Jack and Laurie Tepe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jun 1998 09:14:32 -0500

Howdy - the following summary is in response to my question of: what the
shelf life of Xanthan Gum is?  I was wondering because I have been using
the same jar of it for several (4) years!  However I am using it more now
as I have become more comfortable with gf baking at high altitude.  Anyway
- several people were interested in the answer.  I had five responses with
information.  Thank you everyone VERY MUCH.  I would say that the consensus
is that it lasts for at least a year or more.  Thats good to know.

1. Check the bottom of the bottle.  I've had mine for a month or so (who
knows how long it was on the shelf) & the expir.  date on the bottom says
05/2000 so that's a long time.  Hopefully you would use it up long before the
year 2000.  It's from NOW Foods, Glendale Hts, IL 60139.  Happy baking!!

2. Xanthan Gum will keep indefinitely as long as it is kept dry.

3. If xanthan gum is stored in a cool, dry place away from heat it should
easily last 1 year. Jay - Miss Roben's, Inc

4. I have some which I used this week that said exp. 4/98. I used it in a
cake which turned out delicious as ever.

5. I don't know, but I read in the archives to keep it in the refrigerator,
and I do, in a Tupperware container.  It's been 6 months so far and it seems
fine.

-Laurie (SW Colorado)