Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 13:36:50 -0700

Hi All!

Time had rolled around again for me to send out the anticipated
gluten-free list request letters.  I will be sending them to about 100
manufacturers this year, but am requesting the addresses for
manufacturers you all use MOST.  People like Hersheys, Heinz, etc.  My
list consists mostly of "Health Food Store" type manufacturers and I
would like to expand.

Anyone who would like to help me by donating some stamps, it would be
greatly appreciate but is DEFINITELY not necessary.  The price of stamps
is small compared to the comfort of knowing what we eat is safe.

Below you will also find the letter I will send out to manufacturers in
the next few weeks.  I will, of course, be posting ALL information I
recieve to this list as soon as it comes in!

Thanks for your help!

Joanna

Dear Customer Service,

Last year you may have received a letter from our organization regarding
which of your products are gluten free.  We appreciated your response
and as a result published your gluten free product list to more than
2000 people who live their lives free of gluten and are always grateful
to manufacturers who share such important information.

 Gluten, as you may well know, is a protein found in grains such as
wheat, rye, oats, barley and spelt.  Even in the tiniest amounts these
proteins can damage the intestines of those of us with Celiac Disease.
Recent studies show that 1 in 250 people in the United States and Canada
may be afflicted with Celiac Disease!  That's quite a large portion of
your consumer population!

 This year, we are requesting an updated list of your gluten free
products; as well as information regarding your manufacturing
procedures.  Below are a few questions, which will help gluten-sensitive
people understand the safety of your products.

 1.      Which of your products contain no wheat, rye, oats or barley or
their derivatives?

2.      Are these products manufactured in a facility dedicated to
gluten-free products?

3.      If not, are your gluten-free products manufactured on lines or
in mills dedicated to gluten-free products?

4.      If you do not have dedicated facilities or lines, how do you
clean between runs of gluten-free and gluten-containing products?

5.      If your products contain outside-sourced ingredients (such as
spices or vanilla) can those manufacturers guarantee their product is
gluten-free?

We greatly appreciate your response regarding gluten-free products and
procedures.  Every year more and more of your consumers are being
diagnosed as gluten-sensitive, and we excitedly anticipate your
gluten-free information!

Sincerely,

Joanna Schroeder Pass

Founder and President of The Council on Gluten Free Foods