From:
Tori Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 10:00:21 -0600

When dining out, as in the wonderful summary of responses to the job interview
question recently, it is as important that you communicate how food is
prepared as it is to tell them what you cannot eat.  Here's my sad tale:

While waiting for a table at a pizza/pasta restaurant, I asked to speak with
the manager about my special diet needs, and we decided that I could request
grilled vegetables, in addition to a salad -- all I needed to do was ask for
him by name when I was seated.  The manager assured me that I was in good
hands with the waiter at my table, as he worked in the kitchen and knew all
about food preparation.  I guess that's where I relaxed in repeating my needs.
The waiter said I could get steamed vegetables at any of their restaurants in
the country, even though they are not on the menu, so that's what I ordered.

Salad was fine, though there was a stray piece of cheese in the mix.
Vegetables were delicious, and not as crunchy/raw as usual, and I was having a
wonderful time until my recurrent nightmare happened, and I found *a piece of
a spaghetti noodle* on the plate.  Even now, two months later, my blood
pressure is rising as I remember the terror.  I called the waiter over, and he
said "oh, well, there could have been a few noodles left in the net when they
cooked the noodles before your vegetables, that's all."  Further questions
revealed that the veggies were not just in the same colander, they were cooked
IN the same water that they boil the noodles in.  When I explained to the
manager that this is a serious problem because of my severe allergy to wheat,
he said "well that water is 140 degrees, so surely it won't be a problem."  I
never suspected that "steamed" could mean "boiled" vegetables!

Luckily, I did not suffer any outward symptoms from my first slip in years,
just mental distress, but I did resolve to recheck my restaurant cards, and
make sure they specify not only what I can/cannot eat, but that the food
selected must not come in contact with any other foods or utensils during
preparation and serving.  Hope this helps save someone else from ruining their
week-end.

Tori Ross
Nashville TN