From:
Fiona Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fiona Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:48:50 +1000

Many thanks to everone who responded with thoughtful replies to my questions
about millet.

Millet is gluten free. Several people suggested it is often affected by
contamination,cross
contamination from the field or during the manufacturing process.
A few people responded that they too react to millet.
Below are some of the responses.

I’ve reacted to millet bread before and it was touted as gluten free.
I think some celiacs are sensitive to it.

someone said the only safe grains are rice and corn (?!)

Have you tried Orgran Rice & Millet Pasta?   ( Yes  but not the Millet
pasta)
-Orgran are the best thing to happen to Celiacs in Australia
(www.orgran.com)

'Puffing' requires specialized equipement and companies that have it usually
puff more than one grain.  Call the company & see what happens there.

One way you could test to see if you are sensitive to just the millet would
be to buy the pure grain raw, wash it and boil it.  Eat a good helping of it
with nothing else except maybe a little salt.  If it agrees with you and you
don't get the usual symptoms then contamination is probably your issue.  If
you get sick on it in the usual way, then the problem is probably the grain.

I have included this response about QUINOA for others who would like to vary
the grains in their diet.

I am not familiar with the product in question, but I would like to
recommend another grain that you might try.  If you haven't already tried
quinoa, I highly recommend it.  It is called a "complete" protein, very
light in weight and texture, and rather nutty tasting.  It is also high in
iron, potassium, and many of the B vitamins.  It goes well with everything
you would normally eat with rice, and a friend's mother says she makes
desserts and breakfasts with it.  I eat it quite often (but I've not yet
tried it as a dessert or for breakfast).

Here is a link to an article about it:
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/foods_view/0,1523,74,00.html and here
is a link to a page on the Quinoa Corporation's web site that has an
interesting nutrition table comparing quinoa to various other grains:
http://www.quinoa.net/Nutrition_Facts/nutrition_facts.html.