From:
Jane Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 1995 08:49:31 EST

My dad had extremely high cholesterol and I just simply have trouble
digesting fat so here are a couple of things that I do to cut fat in
my cooking:

1) Use a non-stick skillet.  I do add about a scant tsp. of olive oil
for flavor (which I wipe around the pan) when sauteeing.  I also use
broth instead of additional oil.  I understand that there are some
cooking sprays that are GF but I read the ingredients and am not so
sure I want the other stuff that is in them.

2) Substitute applesauce for some of the fat in baked goods (such as
cakes).  I found that it only works for about 1/2 of the fat in a
recipe or the texture is too crumbly and even at a substitution of
1/2, the products go stale much quicker.

3) Use egg white instead of whole eggs.  If you can't bear the thought
of an egg white omelet, try making it with only one yolk and the rest
just whites.

4) Save the vegetables from when you make stock.  They make a very
tasty and thickening addition when you want to make a gravy.  If you
aren't making anything with gravy in the immediate future, freeze the
soup veg. and defrost and puree later.

5) Use home-made stocks and skim all of the fat off when they are
cool.  Since the fat rises and hardens when the stock is cool, this is
a very easy thing to do.  This also gives you control over sodium as
well as ensuring that it is GF.

Fortunately my cholesterol level is pretty low so I don't have to be
excessive about watching out for that particular no-no (like gluten
doesn't give us enough to worry about!) so I use 1/2% fat free milk
rather than skim, still eat cheese but use the reduced fat rather
than the fat-free stuff.  I am, by the way, lactose intolerant but
find that the Lact-Aid drops and caplets work.  Basically I find that
doing a lot of the stuff that "they" tell you to (eat less red meat,
eggs, etc./eat more whole grains -- in our case, brown rice, corn meal
rather than flour) can work on a GF diet very easily.  More so because
as a group, we tend to steer clear of processed foods.  Good luck to
you and your mother.  I hope she has a speedy recovery.
Jane