From:
Jane Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 1995 23:28:29 EST

Hello!  I am semi-new to the list.  My husband, Scott Lissner had
previously subscribed for me but unsubscribed when I got my own e-mail
account.  (So, List-Owners, your numbers really have stayed the same.)
Since everyone seems to tell a little about themselves, I thought I
would too.  I was diagnosed with celiac disease (a.k.a. non-tropical
sprue) about 6 years ago.

I have a history of gastro-enterological troubles since I am 15 when I
was diagnosed with "chronic dispepsia" or "nervous stomach."  In my
early twenties, I was re-diagnosed with lactose intolerance (my doctor
advised the "drink a glass of milk and see if you get sick in 20 min.
test" -- I did and was I!) and "irritable bowel syndrome."  I don't
mean to offend anyone with my use of quotation marks but these terms
tend to mean "yes, you are really sick but we don't really know why."
Anyway, I'll cut to the chase.  After moving from the down here to
southside Virginia after one of the most stressful years of my life,
I was having severe stomach distress.  I begged my doctor
to do whatever tests were necessary to find out what was wrong with
me.  Tests indicated a pretty nasty case of duodonitis (spelling?)
and, yes Virginia! irritable bowl syndrome.  My doctor suspected cd
when he was following up with me and I told him that I was 99%
improved except for being afraid to leave the house (because of the
runs).  He did a blood test and recommended that I try the gf diet
while waiting for results.  I had almost immediate success with the gf
diet.  I was so delirious about feeling better that it didn't occur to
me what being on this diet would mean.  My test results indicated cd
and the dr. wanted to do a biopsy but I had already had so many tests
and was feeling so much better that I didn't want to do it.  Now I
wonder if I should have.

As far as I know, no one else in my family has cd although my paternal
grandmother died from complications due to scleroderma (uremic
poisoning) and I've heard that she suffered from some vague chronic
stomach problem.  My dad had diverticulitis and a cousin on that side
of the family has problems with wheat and milk protein and her
daughter has problems with soy.  Any connection?  Who knows!

Anyway, this list has been a real education for me. I love the fact
that if I stick to the diet I feel fine (mostly) but until subscribing
to this list I knew very little about the ramifications of celiac
disease -- just the basic physical aspects.  However, knowledge is
power.  Thank you, everyone, for all the power you share.

Jane Ehrenfeld