From:
Peter Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 1995 23:27:57 +0000

I don`t live anywhere near Swindon, but I do live in a larger City,
Leeds, so I do have to tell you, unfortunately, that you will
experience quite a lot of difficulty in obtaining basic items such as
GF Bread Fibre Mix etc. This is because in the UK anyone diagnosed as
Celiac can obtain quite a wide range of basic essentials from a
Chemist (Pharmacist) with a prescription from their GP (Physician)

This means that most Chemists get these things in to order, so if you
go to any Chemist they will probably get what you want in a day or
two, occasionally the same day. However, in my City there is only one
Chemist (Boots) which keeps any GF stuff in stock.

There are a few helath food shops (In Leeds Holland & Barrett- a
National Chain) who keep a few GF products eg Muesli Baking Powder
etc. But I know this applies only to large branches.

There is however a very reliable list produced for members only by
the UK Coeliac Society of acceptable food. I don't think they will
let you have a copy but maybe your National Society can ask on your
behalf. I`ll e-mail you further info if you wish. You might have to
live on Rice & Potatoes for a while though! Sorry not to bring good
news.
Peter Johnson