From:
Mark Whitney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 1995 13:36:05 -0700

>Does anybody out there have a recipe for flour tortillas (without corn).
>Thanks!
>Ingrid Gordon

Hi Ingrid,

I have been trying to perfect a recipe for a flour tortillas for
sometime.  I have a hispanic heritage and my mom made homemade
tortillas my whole life and I want my celiac daughter to have the
same.  So, the following recipe is what I'm using now, but plan to
improve the recipe in the next few months.

1.5 cups tapioca flour
1.5 cups potato flour
1 tsp baking powder
1.5 sticks margarine
1/3 cup milk
3 tsp xanthum gum

Combine dry ingredients in bowl. Add margarine by hand.
Pour milk into to flour mix a small amount at a time.
Collect flour with milk into half-fisted balls.  Do this
until all flour mix is used.  May have to add small
amount of flour to each ball to make less sticky.  Put balls into
bowl and cover with cloth.  Let stand for 1 to 2 hrs.  Roll
individuals balls with pastry roller and pastry cloth to roll upon.
Heat pan to medium/hot heat.  Lift pastry cloth (this should have
wood frame to support this movement) and heated pan and flip rolled
tortilla into heated pan.  Cook until tortilla bubbles and turn over.

This is a difficult process and the tortillas are very good when
first made but do not freeze very well.  I'll let you know if I get
a chance to improve this recipe.  We use these tortillas for cheese
crisps and my children gobble them up.

Hope this helps,

Mark Whitney, USA

602-899-3379