Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:55:52 -0400

Although many of you may already have or know this...we seem to get this
question a lot during the holidays so I thought I would repost it from
our recipes section of our site. And send it to you to re-use as needed.
All natural dyes tend not to be as intense though in color.   And don't
forget sprinkled confectioner's sugar (use a paper cut out to make a
stencil), small plastic toys (if the kids are old enough to know not to
eat it, and candies for decoration ideas too.

I cannot take credit for the original information.  It was compiled by
parents such as you, posts online over the years and magazine articles,
my own experimentation, and Diane Hartman.

Jay
Jay Berger, Miss Roben's
800-891-0083
www.missroben.com <http://www.missroben.com/>
"Happiness is nothing more than health & a poor memory." Albert
Schweitzer

Frosting Coloring Tips:
Note: Color outcomes are based on dyeing white foods; final colors will
vary (based on original food product color & amt. of coloring agent used
(e.g. yellow cake + pomegranate juice will turn more orange than red).
Some colors (or amts.) may affect final flavor. Puree & drain fruits of
seeds before use & account for added liquid in the recipe. For richer
colors, use thawed (frozen) or concentrated juices of fruits & veggies.
Or avoid coloring completely & use plain white icing & colorful, plastic
toys for decoration.

Blue: blueberries
Blue-Purple: blueberries, purple grape juice, blackberries, & blackberry
juice.
Brick red-orange: paprika
Green: pureed, cooked spinach (thawed frozen spinach works great)
Lavender: grape juice. For darker lavender use 4 cups frozen or fresh
blueberries
Pink: cranberry juice, raspberries, red currants, strawberries
Red: pomegranate juice, or dried, powdered, boiled, unsalted red beets
(ground in the blender or food processor-won't effect flavor).
Rich brown: instant coffee granules
Yellow, gold, & orange: small amts. of turmeric powder, yellow mustard
powder, curry powder, annatto powder, & carrot juice (final color
depends on amt. used).

Decorating Tip: Sprinkle shredded coconut over frosting before it
hardens to create a realistic looking Santa's beard, lamb or other
animal fur, etc.

These are things I have used to color Easter eggs: If you are using the
dyes to make colored icing or dry items like play dough, omit the
vinegar.

Dried powdered spinach will make a yellowish green. Add 1 teaspoon
vinegar to 2 tablespoons powdered spinach and 1 cup boiling water

Dried dark red beets will make a red or pink shade(depending on how much
you use.) You can use them in the wet form, if you smash them, and
strain the juice thru cheese cloth. You can also use dried red beets to
make a great pink or red
icing(perfect for valentines day) it does not effect the flavor.
Strawberry juice or jam also work well for a flavored red or pink icing.

Red onion skins use very little water, boil and then strain thru cheese
cloth

Yellow- turmeric(for Easter eggs 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric + 2/3 cup
boiling water and 1/2 teaspoon vinegar

Brown dyes- 1 tablespoon instant coffee(or loose tea) 2/3 cup boiling
water 3/4 teaspoon vinegar tea and coffee produce different shades of
brown, so you might to experiment with this one. For an even different
color(darker) brown use, but use cocoa powder instead of coffee

red cabbage juice makes a bluish color

Blackberry juice- reddish blue dye

Blueberry juice- bluish grey dye

Violet dyes:
1/2 cup violet blossoms(can be found in the spring)
1 cup boiling water
Allow to stand for three hours, and then strain thru cheese cloth.  This
will make a purple-blue dye

Lavender- add 1/8 cup lemon juice, it will cause some type of chemical
reaction and make lavender color

Green: Add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and the dye will turn green, and if
you allow it to stand for several hours to overnight, it will turn a
dark yellow or orange