Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:24:23 -0500

cross post off the [log in to unmask]; edited by me to make sense-was several emails of discussion.
Jay Berger                                        Miss Roben's                                 800-891-0083                               "Happiness is nothing more than health & a poor memory"  Albert Schweitzer
-----------
Instant Clear Jel is pregelatinized cornstarch but it is not available in many
grocery stores.  However I found places selling it on the internet. You
can find more information at
www.bluechipgroup.net/articles/clearjelcomparisons.htm or if you type "clear Jel" into a search, you may find more results.
There's not much out there on instant (non-cook) pudding mixes.
Here's a little bit of information I found. Maybe the recipe below
will help you get started in formulating a new recipe. I haven't any
idea what to use in place of egg yolks. Karen in Ohio

Title:  Instant puddings
Board:  Make Ahead Cooking and Mixes at Recipelink.com

Instant puddings have as one of their ingredients pre-gelatinised
starch which makes them an "add milk and sitr" commodity.

Gelatinized starch is a pre-cooked starch that is used as a
thickener. After cooking the liquid mixture of starch, fluid and
additives it is dried into a powder. When a liquid is added to this
pre-gelatinized starch, as in an instant pudding mix, it re-forms
into the thickened consistency of a cooked starch.

Versatile Pudding Mix
5 quarts instant nonfat dry milk powder 3½ cups sugar
1¾ cups cornstarch    2¼ teaspoons salt

Additional Ingredients for Vanilla Pudding: 2 cups water, 1 whole egg
yolk -- lightly beaten, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Additional Ingredients for Chocolate Pudding: ¼ cup baking cocoa, 2
cups water, 1 whole egg yolk -- lightly beaten, 2 teaspoons vanilla
extract

In large bowl, whisk together the first 4 ingredients. Store in an
airtight container or resealable plastic bag for up to 1 year.
Yield: about 10 batches (21 cups total)

To prepare VANILLA PUDDING: -- In a saucepan, combine 2 cups pudding
mix and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
Remove from the heat. Gradually stir about 1 cup hot mixture into egg
yolk; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour into dessert dishes. Refrigerate.
Yield: 6 servings per batch.
To prepare CHOCOLATE PUDDING: -- Add the cocoa to 2 cups pudding mix.
Prepare according to directions for vanilla pudding.
Yield: 6 servings per batch.

And here's another pudding mix recipe I found using clear jel:
Vanilla Pudding
1/3 c. instant dry milk or powdered substitute
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. clear jel
1/4 t. salt
Combine dry ingredients. Add 2 cup cold milk & 1/4 t. vanilla. Mix
in blender or mixer. Thin if needed. May vary with lemon, coconut,
etc. Add more sugar with cocoa.

Karen in Ohio