From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:41:37 -0500

I wish I could say this is exact, but sometimes I just toss the stuff in without measuring.   The amount of gf flour is not accurate because it depends upon the water content of the potatoes and onions. If I see the batter is too watery, I add more.  I prefer Russet or Idaho baking potatos, but any white potato will do.  Not red or yellow...too mushy.  I peel and dice (haven't shredded by hand in decades!!!) about 4-5  large potatoes.

Put in blender or food processor:  2 medium to large diced onions and 2 large eggs.  Chop up till mixed and onions are smaller pieces. Not exact.  Then toss potato pieces in....maybe a third at a time. Pulse in between.

Mix in about 4-5 heaping tablespoons of gf flour of choice (nothing with a strong taste!),  2 tablespoons of baking powder, several generous shakes of freshly ground pepper, and several generous shakes of salt.   You may need to stir with a long, strong spoon (not while machine is running!), then pulse the machine until everything is a lumpy gruel.  If too watery, add a little more flour.

Heat vegetable oil in frying pan until it hisses when you drop in a tiny flick of water.  Keep jar of oil handy.  You'll need to add more, because latkes absorb it.  Be careful not to let oil burn.  Oil should be less than a quarter inch deep, but more than just covering bottom of pan.  Gently put enough batter in pan for maybe 4 or 5 latkes (2 inches across???)   I use a large slotted spoon to get batter to the pan, so excess liquid drains off. I toss out the excess liquid.  When the sides of each latke  start to brown a little, carefully turn over and lightly brown the other side.  (Some people put the batter in cheesecloth first  and let the excess liquid drain off.  I've never done this.  Too lazy.)

Drain latkes on a paper towel. To keep them warm, I transfer them to a cookie sheet in a warm (not hot) oven.

Serve with apple sauce or sour cream or whatever your family's tradition is.

Just FYI...if you have sensitive fire alarms, don't be surprised if they go off while you're frying.  Good to have an exhaust fan on.

I purposely didn't say how many this makes.  I know it makes enough for 4 or 5 people. Maybe more.  Depends upon what else you serve..  I allow one potato per person.  But more often then not, I make two batches and freeze the leftovers in groups of maybe 6 or so.  They can be defrosted in the microwave on medium or in a 350 degree oven.   If I'm having a crowd, I make them in advance and defrost them in time.

If you prefer a baked version, not fried, pour the entire mixture into a greased pie pan or cake pan and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.  But then, these are NOT latkes, like some of the gf recipe magazines are saying (because Chanukah came out with Thanksgiving).  It's a potato kugel, not latkes.  I make this for our Passover seders...totally omitting the gf flour.