From:
"Richard L. Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard L. Paul
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:14:14 -0400

Yesterday's postings about restaurant cards got me curious about how
effective they are.  So I tried something.  The guy who cuts my hair is from
Thailand and I had a haircut scheduled for today.  So I printed out two
restaurant cards in Thai that I found on-line.  One was from Celiac
Travel.com
http://www.celiactravel.com/gluten-free-cards/36-thai.html

The other I think I found though the Clan Thompson site.
http://members.aol.com/zoeliak/thai.htm

He said neither one would do me any good in a restaurant.  He said the
printing on the Celiac Travel.com cards was so small he couldn't even read
them.  The other one, he said was just a list of foods.  It didn't contain
any explanation about why the list of foods was there.  It didn't say
anything about Celiac Disease, it didn't say anything like, "I have a
sensitivity to wheat, barley and rye."  It was just a list of foods.

So now that I know those cards don't work, my question is: Does anyone know
of restaurant cards that do work?  Do you know of ones where you can verify
the words that are on it because it comes with a translation?

I recall seeing an ad on this list for a company that sold restaurant cards
that, the ad said, were written by "Ivy League educated native speakers" or
something.  Anyone know the name of that company?

I'd love to be able to eat in ethnic restaurants again.  But in this town it
is often very difficult to find a waiter who speaks enough English to convey
Celiac information and feel safe.

Thanks for whatever you can tell me,

Richard Paul
Washington, DC