From:
"Richard L. Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard L. Paul
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:28:57 -0400

A BUNCH OF PEOPLE RECOMMENDED TRIUMPH DINING

I recently purchased the Triumph Dining cards.  I have only used them a
couple of times so far, and so far have had good experiences with them.
--------------
I recently purchased Triumph Dining cards.  (Written by the Ivy-League
educated people.) It's a set of 6 laminated wallet-size cards, one each for
American, Indian, Mexican, Thai, Japanese and Chinese cuisines.   I am very
pleased with them.

A really useful thing about the cards is that they specify safe and unsafe
ingredients and typical foods for each type of cuisine.  For instance the
Indian card specifically mentions that I cannot eat suji, maida, roti,
sevian, or hing.  (I don't even know what those are, so wouldn't even know
to ask about them)
--------------
Try http://www.triumphdining.com  I've ordered these in all the languages
available and feel confident (thought I haven't tried it yet) that they will
work.
--------------
I'm very impressed with this website.
http://triumphdining.com/
The guy has done a lot of work.  At first I took some umbrage that someone
would make these cards and then charge for them ... but, after perusing his
website, I see that he's really researched not only the translations but
what SPECIFIC foods are most pertinent to each cuisine.
----------
Here is the URL:

http://www.triumphdining.com/
I like their cards.  They are concise and, I think, convey the information
that is needed.  Whether that is true of languages other than English I
don't know. I've used one a few times and it seems to have accomplished what
I needed.
SOMEONE ELSE SUGGESTED THIS SET OF CARDS
I have a booklet of restaurant cards in six languages:
http://www.glutenfreecanada.com/diningcards/multilingual.html
TWO PEOPLE (INCLUDING THE AUTHOR) SUGGESTED THIS BOOK
Against the grain by Jax Peters Lowell has restaurant cards in various
languages.  A copy should be available in your local library.  Inexpensive
place to start..

-------------------

Try the International Dining Cards in my new book, The Gluten-Free Bible
(Henry Holt, N.Y. 2005).  Arabic, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, French, German,
Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish,
Swahili, Swedish, Thai.  Bon Apetit!
SOMEONE WROTE OUT THE TEXT OF THE CARDS THEY USE
Here are some with translations:

English:

Since I suffer from an inability to digest cereal derived proteins (rye,
wheat, barley, oats), I cannot eat dishes containing flour, breadcrumbs,
semolina, pasta, etc.

Should any of these ingredients be used in the chosen meal and it is not
possible to leave them out, please could you offer an alternative dish.

Thank you very much !

German:

Da ich an einer Unverträglichkeit von Getreideeiweiß leide ( Weizen, Roggen,
Gerste, Hafer), darf mein Essen kein Mehl, Paniermehl, Grieß, Nudeln
usw.enthalten.

Sollten in dem gewählten Gericht davon Bestandteile enthalten sein, die
nicht weggelassen werden können, bitte ich um einen anderen Vorschlag,

Vielen Dank !

French:

Souffrant d'un état d'intolérance des protéines céréaliPres ( seigle, blé,
orge, avoine) il m'est interdit d'ingérer farine, chapeulure, semoule, pâtes
etc.

Si le plat, que je viens de choisir contient l'un de ces éléments et ceux-ci
ne sauraient Ltre supprimés, veuillez me proposer un plat différent.

Merci beaucoup !

And here are two Italian translations for eating out in restaurants:

Siccome non posso digerire proteine di cereali (segale, grano (frumento),
orzo, avena) i miei piatti non devono contenere la minima quantita di
farina, pane grattugiato, semolino, pasta, ecc.

Qualora il piatto sezionato contenga uno degli ingredienti menzionati a cui
non puo essere rununciato, La prego di propormi un altro piatto. Grazie

(in English) Since I suffer from an inabilityy to digest cereal derived
proteins (rye, wheat, barley, oats, spelt), I cannot eat dishes containing
flour, breadcrumbs, semolina, pasta, etc. Should any of these ingredients be
used in the chosen meal and it is not possible to leave them out, please
could you offer an alternative dish.  Thank you very much.

++++++++++++

Message: "Sono allergica al glutine, una sostanza presente in tutti i
prodotti derivati dal grano, dall'orzo o dall'avena. Debbo quindi evitare
pasta, pane, farina eccetera. Posso invece mangiare senza problemi prodotti
conteneti riso, granturco o patate. La prego di aiutarmi a scegliere un menu
appropriato"

It means in English: "I am allergic to gluten, a substance that is found in
all the products derived from wheat or oats. I must therefore avoid pasta,
bread, flour etc. I can instead eat without problem products containing
rice, corn or potatoes. Please help me to choose a suitable meal"

Spanish:
Tengo un problema médico que me prohíbe cualquier comida que contenga trigo,
harina, centeno o cebada, en cualquier forma.  Obviamente, no puedo comer
cosas fritas (rebozadas en harina o pan rallado), ni ninguna salsa que tenga
harina.  Naturalmente, tampoco puedo comer pan ni pasta.

Sí puedo comer pescado, carne o pollo a la plancha o al horno; también,
ensaladas, legumbres, verduras, frutas, maíz y arroces (si no se usa ninguna
harina en su elaboración).

Se trata de un problema grave y no me puedo permitir ningún riesgo sin
consecuencias serias.

¿Podría Vd. recomendarme algunos platos que pudiera comer?  Le agradezco su
amable ayuda.

This Spanish text (by a Spanish professor) was based on my English text:

I have a medical condition that does not allow me to eat foods that contain
wheat, rye, or barley in any form. This means I cannot eat fried food
(because it usually is dipped or rolled in flour or bread crumbs before
cooking), or foods served with gravy or sauce (because those are also made
with flour). Obviously I cannot eat bread or pasta.

I can eat broiled, grilled,  or baked meats, chicken (fowl?), and fish, as
well as salads, vegetables, fruits, rice, and corn if flour is not used in
their preparation.

Would you please suggest items on your menu that I could eat. I should be
very grateful for your advice.