From:
Bev Messner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bev Messner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 20:00:35 -0500

What an awesome response.... more than 60 people wrote to me.  I will do my
best to be brief with the recommendations, and then try to summarize what I
found on different websites for prices.

Most recommended the tilt head.  Bette Hagman was quoted as saying the
crank-up bowls tend to have problems with the crank, and you need lots of
power (350 minimum) to get air into the dough.

Two people like the crank up bowl

Quite a few recommended a second bowl.   And a bowl with handles is best.

Some said they had the smallest and least expensive, and were happy.
Others say bigger is better....so get what you can afford.

Pouring Shield - About 13 said either they never use it or it is just a
pain and one more thing to wash. 8 said they like it.   And it helps kee
the flour in the bowl.  The 525 watt ones have a soft take off and don't
throw flour all  over.

Several recommended the Artesian. This is 325 watts of power and lots of
colors.

Another issue is weight.  They average around 29 pounds, so counter space
is needed if you don't want to be putting it away.   About one square foot.

One said they had the KSMO90 with 300 watts motor and it struggles with
double batches.   If they could do it over, they would get the biggest
possible motor.  I believe 300 to 325 watts was what most people had and
they are happy with them.

WEBSITE SEARCH:  I checked on ebay, and on the new ones, many are
refurbished, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.  I once bought a
refurbished Palm Pilot for my GF lists, and have not had any problems with
it.

On Ebay at the moment, there is a KSM103 that is 300 watts.  It is up for
bid, but there i
s a "Buy it Now" price of $169.00.  The average shipping is
around $30.   This is just the mixer, and 3 beaters.

The Artesian is also there for $169.99 and shipping is $32.00.  It is
Refurbished also.  This is also 300 watts.

On Amazon. com  the Artesian that is 325 watts, and comes with a pouring
shield and an extra bowl is being offered in September.  There is also
rebates available.  Shipping is FREE!!   After rebates, the total is
$217.00.    These come with warranties.

That extra bowl is about a $30 value.   Pouring shields can be purchased
for about $13.00 on ebay....in case you want to go with the other stripped
down version.

So you decide....300 watts...cheaper price....no extras.  Or you can go
with the 325 watts....more accessories....higher price.  Both free shipping.

I checked the Kohl's and Lowe's websites and those prices were too high.

Anyone with
 more suggestions for me....feel free to write.  I can't decide
what to do.   There are others going at auction, but you might be taking
more of a risk on some of them.  These other refurbished ones are being
offered by Kitchenaid on the ebay site.   I feel safe with them.

My choice at the moment is the Artesian from Amazon with the extra bowl,
free shipping, and pouring shield.  Guess I better pick a neutral color if
these things are going to last decades like some said. I am still stuck
with an avacado blender from the 60's or 70's that is looking pretty ugly
these days.

Bev
Mansfield, Ohio