From:
Barrie Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 21:33:16 -0400

Hi All,

I noticed Larry's post asking about Bone Density Testing and also one from
Susie a week or so back.  I thought it would be a good idea to reply to the
list so as others wondering about bone density tests can know what it's all
about.  Sorry if this is a long post (its actually my first), but I thought
it important to cover all the facts.

* What does a Bone Density Test Involve?

A Bone Density Test is performed using a special x-ray machine.  It is
completely non-invasive and painless.  The total dose of x-rays which you
receive is less than that for a chest x-ray.  (Note: A few older machines
may use a radioactive source instead of x-rays, but the dose is very, very
small and is not considered at all dangerous to health.)

The test is performed by moving the x-ray source backwards and forwards over
the area of bone to be measured (scanning).  This is usually the hip and the
lumbar region of the spine.  You lie on a table while the scanner moves
backwards and forwards above you.  A detector under the table measures the
amount of x-rays which pass through your body and then sends the information
to a computer for analysis.  The computer is able to build up a picture or
your bone density for the area scanned.  This is then compared to "normals"
for people of your weight, height and age.  If you have low bone density,
your measurements will be outside the normal range.

Bone density testing is often done in conjunction with blood tests and
sometimes urine tests to measure levels of calcium in the blood and urine.
The important thing though is the state of your bones.

* Why have a Bone Density Test?

Celiacs often have trouble digesting dairy products, the main source of
calcium in our (normal) diets.  Calcium is needed to build strong bones.
If there is not enough calcium in your diet you will have porous (low
density) bones.  If this is clinically significant you will be diagnosed
as having osteoporosis.  This is a very common problem for Celiacs.

Normally we continue to lay down calcium in our bone structure until the
age of about 40 years.  From around the age of 50 years calcium begins to
be lost from the bones, especially during menopause for women.

If you know you have a low bone density soon enough, you can do something
to reverse the condition and prevent osteoporosis later (by taking calcium
supplements, watching your diet and engaging in weight-bearing exercise).
If you are older and know you have a low done density, you may be able to
slow down further bone loss by taking supplements or having (sometimes
controversial) hormone replacement therapy (for women).  To a large extent
oesteoporosis is preventable if you act soon enough.

The danger of having a low bone density in early life is that bone mineral
loss in later life will cause osteoporosis which is irreversible.  People
with osteoporosis are at risk of breaking bones.  The hip is especially
vulnerable in older people and often requires an expensive artificial joint
to repair.  Hip fractures are the leading cause of loss of mobility in the
elderly and are a significant cause of death due to complications.  They
are definitely to be avoided!

I was diagnosed as celiac 10 years ago.  Eight years ago I was diagnosed
with a statistically low bone density at age 32.  Since then I have taken
1000 mg calcium daily as a supplement, made sure I eat plenty of calcium
rich foods and kept up regular weight-bearing exercise.  Earlier this year
I had a bone density test done and was pleased to find that my hips are now
(just) within normal range and my spine is also within normal.  This is good
evidence that it is possible to improve your bones, even as an adult heading
into middle age.

Regards,

Barrie Woods
Burwood Hospital