From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 21:14:32 -0500

Dear List:

I have a young piano student who is blind and brain damaged.  His mother
does not speak English (all the translating is done by an 11 year old
older sister).  The boy is having increasing difficulty concentrating,
and I suspect that the trouble is gastric.  He has many symptoms that
should certainly be checked out, and which lead me to suspect celiac.

Can anyone help me with experiences with young children having
behavioral problems - preferably in Spanish, though not necessarily.
There are certain cultural barriers at work here...The mother is
desperate.  I don't blame her.  A visit with an MD is pending, but these
people have little money and are relegated to whoever is on duty at the
time. I suspect that a couple of backup stories might help the letter I
am going to write to try to get the MD to take seriously the medical
well-being of this child.

Nancy in nyc