From:
Andrea Otken-Dennis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 10:36:16 -0500

Sorry for the delay in summarizing the responses.

Almost everyone that responded to me said that hops is not related to
barley, as it is a vine, and not a grain.  The only thing they have in
common is that both are often used to make beer.  Hops is related to
cannabis and funny enough, seems to have a sedative effect.

I only received one response that said to stay away from hops. But
several others cautioned to make sure that the hops wasn't contaminated
with gluten.

On the note of nursing, I received several responses.  One suggestion
of taking essential fatty acids and/or flaxseed to supplement.  Rest,
extra fluids, and more frequent nursing were also suggested.

Another person brought up the question of whether nursing would make the
baby more susceptible to celiac. So I did some digging on that...and
there have been several studies, of which I have yet to lay my hands on,
regarding the benefits of breastfeeding against celiac/allergies. When I
get ahold of them, I promise I'll pass on another summary.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Andrea