Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:43:08 -0400

*What a huge load of responses!!!!  I have sorted the responses and
listed them below. Most people who like bakery GF breads toast these
breads for all purposes. **People who like Manna from Anna bread do not
find they have to toast it first.**

Sadly, some people just have not found one they feel is worth eating at
all (I left the names of the bakeries off of the negative comments).
There were a number of comments about crumbling bread, and other
familiar GF bread misadventures.

If a bread was recommended by more than one person, the bread has a
number after it showing the number of recommendations.  It was
interesting to me what a huge variety of responses came through - no
real consensus on a favorite bread.  There is a list of websites at the
end - I tried to find one for every company that was recommended.

Notes of hope for the adventurous: **There are a few fairly obscure
breads that popped up, and these may be worth a quest!

Please verify for yourself that the bread you choose meets your dietary
requirements.  There were a couple of submissions that were not GF, but
I can't be sure about each and every bread that people recommended.

**
General bread*

    * Whole Foods Bakehouse Prairie Bread - 4 raves
    * Whole Foods sandwich bread - 3
    * Whole Foods bread of any type
    * EnerG Tapicoca Loaf  - 4 (one rave)
    * Kinnikinnick breads of all types - 3
    * Kinnikinnick Tapioca Cheese - 2
    * Kinnikinnick White Sandwich bread  - 2
    * Kinnikinnick Italian Tapioca Rice Bread - 2
    * Manna from Anna,  (1 said thinly sliced) - 2 raves
    * Kinnikinnick Tapioca Rice Bread
    * Kinnikinnick Bagels
    * Kinnikinnick  Italian bread and their sandwich bread - toasted for
      all purposes
    * Gluten Free Pantry is "favorite sandwich bread" mix - but burns at
      very low temperature
    * EnerG - any kind
    * Mr Ritts Challa
    * Silly Yak bakery in Madison WI
    * Wedge Co-op gluten-free bread in Minneapolis
    * Sterk's Gluten-Free Italian Whole Brown

*Sandwich bread*

    * Kinnikinnick Tapioca Cheese
    * For sandwiches, I prefer the buns I make from Kinnikinnick bread &
      bun mix - I use empty tuna cans sprayed with Pam and lined up on a
      large jelly rollpan. Bread recipe makes 14 or 15 buns.
    * Whole Foods garlic and dried tomato--very tasty, very good. makes
      a killer cheese sandwich - 3
    * Whole Foods breads but they are thick and filling so I make a one
      slice sandwich (open face)
    * Whole Foods White Sandwich
    * Ener-G White Rice
    * Trader Joe's Ryeless Rye - so good for a panfried cornedbeef and
      sauerkraut sandwich grilled in a pan that it almost made the
      reviewer cry. (not available in the East - only on the West coast
      and in the mid-West)
    * Glutino Premium Corn Bread. (for grilled cheese) It is sliced and
      is looks like white bread.
    * Enjoy Life Foods - sliced sandwich bread, ordered online
    * Gluten Free 1-2-3 Sandwich Bread

*For Bruschetta or Garlic Bread*

    * Mr Ritts Itallian loaf is untouchable

*Toasting bread*

    * Glutino flaxseed and corn  - makes a nice toasted cheese sandwich
    * Great Harvest Cinnamon Chip Bread (I was not able to find this one
      on the web for this summary )
    * KinnikinnickTapioca Cheese
    * Kinnikinnick tapioca rice Italian bread
    * Genuine Bavarian GlutenFree Whole Grain Bread (for toasting); it
      is produced in Germany by Heinrich Lenpoldt KG; D-9513
      Weissenstadt (Bavaria) and unfortunately I can only find it at
      Nature Mart, 2080 Hillhurst Ave., Los Angeles 323-660-0052. They
      get it through Mountain People, aka United Natural Foods. I phoned
      them and they said that if, for instance, Whole Foods wanted to
      carry it they should have their corporate office phone them at
      1-800-679-2733.  Hope that helps! Was also available in the UK.
    * Glutino Flax
    * Food for Life Millet bread
    * Whole Foods - any type - 2
    * Whole Foods Bakehouse Prairie Bread
    * Bob's Red Mill GF Sandwich Bread

*Novelty bread

*

    * Whole foods Prairie bread -lots of delicious nuts and seeds added
      to the bread and on the crust.
    * Whole Foods sun-dried  tomato
    * Whole Foods cinnamon raisin  - 2
    * Kinnikinnick English muffinsGlutino's sesame seed bagels are
      really very good
    * Manna from Anna cinnamon/raisin thinly sliced
    * Gillian's French Rolls which I slice and then freeze.
    * Roben Ryberg's recipe for several different breads in her book,
      "The Gluten Free Kitchen."
    * Foods by George Cinnamon Currant English Muffins

*
Negative comments regarding GF bread in general (umm...there were
several of these)
*

    * gf bread is awful....I don't eat any of it
    * We don't buy bread or any ready made products
    * All the ready-made breads we (and others near us) have tried are
      too expensive and are garbage ... make your own  .... its great!
    * I have yet to find one I really think is great. : - )
    * I find all of them distinctly awful

*Most Desired bread that doesn't yet exist:*

    * GF sourdough
    * A good bagel

*Here are the sources:

http://www.kinnikinnick.com/
http://www.wholefoods.com/
http://www.ener-g.com/
http://www.glutenevolution.com/products.html  (manna from anna)
http://glutenfreepantry.com/
http://www.mrritts.com/
http://www.sillyyakbakery.com/
http://www.wedge.coop/
http://www.pema.de/cms/front_content.php?idcatart=82&lang=1  (german
company: "glutenfree" = glutenfrei; "Rice bread" = reisbrot)
Sterks' * Phone - 1-800-608-4501         3866 23rd Street Vineland,
Ontario, Canada
http://www.traderjoes.com/products/brochures/EC_gluten.pdf
http://www.glutino.com/english/index.cfm
http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/