From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 21:07:32 EST

When I posted my message about gf Passover breadcrumbs, I received a number
of responses that opened up the annual issue of Passover
products...gluten-free or not.....Passover products will appear in the stores
soon...so.... I hope this helps.

Because of religious dietary restrictions, Passover products must clearly
show if they contain Passover matzah or they don't...and any grain-based
ingredients from during the rest of the year are forbidden. Matzah is made
from wheat. So...just read the labels carefully.

Foods definitely contain wheat if the label says ---- matzah, farfel or
fahfel, matzah meal, or cake meal. They are ALL wheat matzah products. It
does not matter if they say kosher or kosher for Passover or not.
If a product says Kosher for Passover and does not list any of the above, it
is gluten-free....with no risk of accidental contamination either, because
the facilities where this stuff is made are either dedicated for Passover
products or are thoroughly cleaned so that no wheat remains.  Passover food
is also gluten-free if it says, "No gebrochts."

For those of you who saw oat matzah on the listserv last year....I never
heard of oat matzah until then. It is a special order and I don't anything
about it. (Check the archives.) Matzah and related matzah products, as we see
them in the stores, are definitely wheat.

There are great gf cakes and cookies at Passover time that freeze well.
Enjoy. Or as my grandmother would say, "Es gezinte heit." Eat in good health.
Linda