From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 1996 17:57:36 PDT

Carolyn,

I am going to post this to the list rather than just to you because it may
be of interest to others.

Spelt simply is wheat. It is not some other grain, not an alternative to
wheat. Spelt does have alpha-gliadin.  It also reacts positively in the
Australian antibody test.  Several papers indicating this have been
published recently.  I will dig up the references upon request.  I think you
are probably doing yourself harm by eating spelt if you have celiac disease
or wheat allergy. Many celiac patients do not have immediately recognized
symptoms from eating wheat.  Some younger patients have returned to a normal
diet for years before finally breaking down again. Again, this is documented
in the literature and I will dig up references upon request.

Don Kasarda, Albany, CA