From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 11:20:16 -0800

At 10:36 AM 2/1/01 -0500, Angel Rodriguez quoted the following:

>5) ONE LIST MEMBER said they had a back experience at Outback, apparently
>having taken the advice of the wait person instead of reading the research
>article (above) from the list archives that recommends certain Outback
>menu items.  Sticking to the recommended menu items, I have eaten at
>Outback Steakhouse several times and have had no bad experiences.

That was probably me who wrote that. But it did not have anything to do
with taking the advice of the waiter. I went in with a printed GF list that
they'd sent me from the franchiser, but this particular branch, in Everett
WA (no. Seattle), simply didn't follow that. For instance, when I asked for
the unspiced version of the veggies, they purportedly brought me that, but
I later learned that they are cooked in butter and it's the butter that has
the spices in it there: they would not cook them without the butter. Most
of their stuff there was cooked in that butter. But I don't think that's
the usual with that chain, because they didn't offer several things that
were on the menu (like the yams), and did offer things that were not on the
national menu so far as I can tell. I think that particular franchisee
thought he would improve on their offerings! I just think you need to be
careful when eating at one where you've never eaten before, even when armed
with their GF menu. Don't mean to knock the entire chain. I'll try another
one if I find one elsewhere, where perhaps they will follow the franchise
more closely. But then it was my own fault. I could tell going in that
neither the waiter nor whomever he was going back to ask knew diddley about
what they were doing. "Incompetency happens," to offer a euphemism for the
popular saying :) -vance