From:
"Barfield, Betty" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barfield, Betty
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2007 17:25:49 -0500

Recently a lady with celiac disease asked Cynthia Kupper of the Gluten
Intolerance Group and myself about a product called GlutenEase
http://www.enzymedica.com/products/GlutenEase?PHPSESSID=acc87d6bc3f8e5be
44a7912d2b077745.

Below is Cynthia's response:

This product is not advertised for persons with celiac disease but for
persons with gluten intolerance that is not celiac disease. It will not
stop the damage that is happening in the GI tract for persons with
celiac disease.

Cynthia Kupper, RD, CD

Executive Director

Gluten Intolerance Group of North America(r)

31214 - 124 Ave SE, Auburn WA 98092-3667

Phone: 253-833-6655          Fax: 253-833-6675

www.GLUTEN.net <http://www.gluten.net/>

www.GFCO.org <http://www.gfco.org/>

www.GlutenFreeRestaurants.org

And this is a response I got from Dr. Alessio Fasano about this product:

Hi Betty,

I must agree with you on this.  As far as I know, there have been no
clinical trials to date to validate this stuff.  The safest and most
conservative way to approach this is to check the government web site
for clinical trials (www.clinicaltrial.gov) and use the key word 'celiac
disease".  If the product did not go through the rigorous scrutiny of
FDA, I would not trust it.

Alessio

Alessio Fasano, M.D.

Professor of Pediatrics, Medicine, and Physiology Director, Mucosal
Biology Research Center University of Maryland School of Medicine Health
Science Facility II Room S345 20 Penn St.

Baltimore, MD 21201

Response I received from Dr. Peter Green on GlutenEase:

It has been very difficult to find enzymes that digest the fragments of
gluten that are toxic to people with celiac disease. Nevertheless,
researchers have been working on this aspect of treatment for many
years. Several enzymes are currently being rigorously tested to ensure
that they do not create any allergic or immunological reaction in the
body since they are foreign proteins being introduced into the digestive
tract.

While the supplements being marketed make no claims for treating CD,
they are still advising people to take their products without this rigid
testing of efficacy and effectiveness. In short, it is doubtful that
they are effective and unclear as to whether they are safe.

Most people with celiac disease are careful about the foods they put in
their mouth. They should be equally - or even more careful - about
over-the-counter supplements.

This product is being directed to unsuspecting gluten intolerant people
who are eager to take a pill and go back to eating gluten.  This product
is not what some may think or hope it is.

Betty Barfield

President, North Texas GIG

<mailto:[log in to unmask]>