From:
Angela Bulawski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 16:20:31 -0500

This recipe has been posted here before:
There is also this recipe (it's not CF frosting):
Poster:       Deb McManman <[log in to unmask]>
Hello:
After denying myself carrot cake since being diagnosed six months ago, I
have finally come up with an excellent recipe. I got it from one of Bette
Hagman's books, but altered it somewhat. It is one of the most wonderful
things I have eaten since going gluten-free.

The most delicious gluten-free carrot cake you have ever had:

1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup potato starch
2 cups sugar (I prefer equal parts regular and brown sugar)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 eggs
3 cups finely-shredded carrots
1 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup nuts (optional) or dried fruit

Combine all flours and dry ingredients. In separate bowl, beat eggs. Add
carrots and oil and mix well. Add this to the flour mixture and combine.
If batter is thin, add some more rice flour until it is medium-thick and
is not runny.

Pour batter into two greased and rice-floured cake pans or muffin tins. Do
not fill more than halfway full. Bake at 325 degrees for 55 minutes or
until toothpick comes out clean.

Cool 10 minutes and frost with sour cream or cream cheese frosting, below.

For frosting, you can mix together I pkg. cream cheese okay to use low
fat), 2 tbsp. yogurt, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, and after these are blended, add
about 3 tbsp. powdered sugar. Chill and frost onto cooled cake or muffins.
*********************************************************************************************************************
I've attached one carrot cake and some notes on flour to this email.  You
probably don't need most of what's in the notes (it was written for a
newbie to gf cooking), but it includes the mix I generally use
in the carrot cake. It's a very forgiving mix--you can vary it pretty
wildly and it still works. The main thing is to use a wide enough variety
of flours that no one taste predominates.

The vegan cake/frosting is on the web at
<http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipes/messages/991681.html>. I used  my
"whole grain" mix, no xanthan gum, and no other substitutions or changes.
I did find that it took longer than an hour to bake--more like an hour and
a half. I've made it in a regular bundt pan floured with rice flour, and a
silicone one unfloured. It worked well either way. The frosting recipe is
really the same as a regular cream cheese
frosting, but suggests using a cream "cheeze". The cake is really good
with the lemon glaze recipe given on that page, too.

The other icing I've used is the seven-minute white icing from Joy of
Cooking. It's not vegan, but it is gfcf (notes in parentheses are my
additions):

Seven-Minute White Icing
yield--about 2 cups

2 unbeaten egg whites
1 1/2 cups sugar (substitute 1 cup turbinado & 1/2 cup white sugar
for a caramel-colored frosting)
5 tbs cold water
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Place these ingredients in a double boiler over rapidly boiling water.
Beat constantly with an electric hand mixer (easy), rotary hand beater
(kinda hard) or wire whisk (very hard on the arm) for 7
minutes. Remove from heat and add:

1 tsp vanilla (+ 1/2 tsp almond extract if you like the flavor of almond)

(Transfer to a stand mixer bowl if you wish.) Continue beating until the
icing is spreadable. Optional additions at this point include:
1/2 cup chopped nuts or grated coconut or 1 stick crushed peppermint candy

Attachments are as follows:
Carrot Cake
Preheat oven to 350°. Grease & flour with rice flour 1 9 x 13 or 2 8 x8
pans.
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/3 cups cooking oil (peanut, corn, safflower)
4 cups grated carrots
3/4 cup broken pecans or walnuts
2 cups "whole grain" gf flour mix + 1 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
optional other spices: cardamom, nutmeg, allspice, cloves

Beat sugar and eggs together until thick and pale. Stir in oil and mix
well. Sift dry ingredients together and stir slowly into egg mixture,
making sure all ingredients are moistened and there are no lumps. Fold in
carrots and nuts. Spoon into pan(s). Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a
toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Turn onto cake rack and
cool.

Cream Cheese Frosting
6 oz cream cheese
3 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
a little cream
optional: flavor with orange flavored liqueur such as Grand Marnier, or
other compatible flavor

Cream ingredients together until fluffy. Spread on cake, chill until ready
to serve.

Notes on gluten-free flour
There are many gluten-free flours & flour mixes available. For fine
baking, such as fine-textured cakes & cupcakes, use some of the more
finely ground, less heavily flavored flours. Small amounts of xanthan gum
(roughly 1/2 tsp per cup of flour) may be added to give some spring to the
baked goods. A good mixture for brownies & cakes would be 1 part each
tapioca starch & corn starch (or potato starch), 2 parts sweet rice flour
(Japanese Mochi Flour), and 2 parts white rice flour. Tapioca starch,
sweet rice flour, and white rice flour are all available at most Oriental
groceries. White rice flour is also available at Indian groceries, and
also at many grocery stores. The grocery store brand you're most likely to
find is Bob's Red Mill. It is more coarsely ground than the Asian ones,
and tends to make gritty baked goods.
"Whole grain" Gluten free flour mix

4 parts quinoa flour
2 parts each amaranth flour, millet flour, buckwheat flour, corn meal
1 part finely ground flax seed

mix or sift together

Notes on baking powder
You'll see lots of references to problems with determining whether baking
powder is gluten-free. As far as I know, this is no longer a problem. The
ingredients are listed on the package. I generally use either Clabber Girl
or any brand of kosher for pesach baking powder. Clabber Girl and Rumford
are certified gluten-free. All the kosher for pesach baking powder must be
gf. It uses potato starch in place of corn starch.
Yes, the carrot cake mix from Miss Robens www.allergygrocer.com is amazing.  My daughter is GFCF and we all love this cake.  I make a
blend of toffuti (non dairy cream cheese) , powdered sugar , benecol (not
marjarine) and vanilla.  This is my icing and it is wonderful.

Try a mix from Miss Roben's  (www.missroben.com).    It is quite good!