From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 1995 09:04:32 -0400

On July 28, Mary Courtney said:

>>Although slow to digest, raisins are popular with >>celiacs...some...with
flour, others with oil.

Well, I didn't know that oil was an alternative when I called Sun-Maid on
June 19 (209-467-6000), but they don't use flour in processing their boxed
raisins. (Sun-Maid Mini-Snacks). For the more normal snack packaging
(coffee can like with the top open for pouring, non-stick would be
necessary) and  from other suppliers,  a call would be wise.

"Slow digesting" --well, not the sugar at least. I suspect that many celiac
Type I diabetics rely on them to quickly raise ther blood sugar when
they're out of balance in that direction. 11 grams of carbohydrate gets
delivered to the blood in 10 to 15 minutes from  one of those Sun-Maid
Mini-Snacks.

                   Kemp Randolph
                   Long Island