Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 22 May 1996 22:45:24 -0400

At 03:34 PM 5/22/96 -0400, Maureen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have spoken with two people who had edema before
>they were diagnosed with CD and it went away after going on a gf diet but
>their doctors did not make any connection. My mother has CD and has severe
>edema and has just started on a gf diet. Anything I have read does not list
>this as a symptom. Can anyone let me know if edema is common with CD? Does a
>gf diet help?

This is from Practical Gastroenterology - Oct 1980 - Volume IV Number 9

Celiac Disease, Clinical Manifestations
Fiona M. Stevens (Research Fellow, Dept. of Gastroenterology, Regional
Hospital, Galway, Ireland)

(Under Major Symptoms of Celiac)

EDEMA
Multiple factors contribute to this condition, including poor absorption of
ingested protein, impaired hepatic synthesis, and excessive loss of cellular
protein from rapid exfoliation of damaged enterocytes. Anemia may aggravate
the edema.