From:
Chris Silker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 11:00:32 -0500

Hi all - Sorry it's taken me so long to summarize this - I was in
Corvallis, Oregon at a conference (not celiac related!) last week. I hope
I've included everyone's recipes in my summary - the responses are
scattered across three computers! I haven't had a chance to try any of the
recipes yet, but I'm quite excited about them.

Also - I just got information on the CSA Conference next month in Seattle.
I'd like to hear from some people who've attended this conference in the
past to figure out how useful it might be for me (since it is a substantial
expense). For background information, I was diagnosed with celiac disease
by biopsy at the end of July after being initially diagnosed with DH. I
have been gluten-free for about a month now.

Thanks!

Chris Silker
Minneapolis, MN
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Just so happens I'm making GF pizza tomorrow and have a great recipe. Here it
is:

1 cup brown rice flour
2 cups white rice flour
6 tsp. Xanthan gum
1/4 cup plus 2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/3 cups non-fat milk powder
1 package dry yeast
2 large eggs, beaten
1 3/4 cups warm water
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine

Mix all together and place in bread machine at regular setting for bread
and begin the baking process. (On my machine, after about 30 min. there is
a beep to tell you it is time to add things like nuts, fruit, etc. to
breads.) At this time I take out the dough. It is very sticky!

Grease and flour two pizza pans. Divide the dough in half and roll out on
pizza pans. Make sure to use lots of GF flour on your hands and on the
dough as you roll it. (I actually just use my hands, not a rolling pin).
Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 min. or until browned.

Take out and put on indredients. Bake again until cheese bubbly.
This looks and tastes just like regular pizza and freezes well in
individual pieces.

Good  luck!
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Check the various recipes in the Hagman books.  i have used them and they
work.  If you need more info let me know. Also you can buy ready made pizza
shells by mail  from Ener-G foods in Seattle.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
I just read your post and thought I might be able to help you out a
little.
Pizza Crust:
Have you tried any out of Bette Hagman's "The Gluten Free Gourmet"?
I've tried 2 of them.  The first which uses yeast but doesn't rise too
much is pretty good.  It tastes a lot like lasagne I think.  The second
which is supposed to be (and is) fast and easy I don't like as well.  It
tastes too much like corn bread.  My husband likes it.  E-mail me if you
need the recipes, I'll try to remember to bring my book to work
tomorrow.  They aren't for bread machines, but they are pretty easy to
make in the oven.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Trying different recipes, I have found Bette Hagman's Rice Dream Bread
to be a good starter for pizza crust. BUT I do NOT put eggs in it and I
omit the sugar, except a teaspoon for starting the yeast...

If you are concerned about rice dream (which uses barley enzyme in the
process of making it), replace it with water and a little milk.

Instead of oil, you can use butter (and vice-versa).

HINT: prebake the crust before you use it and slightly brush it with
olive oil (watch for popeye)
- - - - - - - - - - - -
This is not made in a bread maker, but it is a delicious and really easy
pizza recipe.  Once you are familiar with it, it will take only 5 minutes
of preparation to make a pizza and it will be ready to eat in only 25
minutes! The key is in prebaking the crust before putting the toppings on it.

Pat's Thin Yeast Pizza Crust
Adapted from The Gluten Free Gourmet

Mix in a bowl:
1 1/2 t         yeast
1/2 c           warm water
1 t             sugar
Let sit for about 5 minutes or until it bubbles a little.

Add:
2/3 c           white rice flour
1/3 c           potato starch flour
1 T             potato flakes (instant mashed potato flakes)
1 1/2 t         olive oil
1 t             salt
and up to 1/2 c additional water, until right consistency
You are trying to make it the consistency of pancake batter, so it will
pour but is not too runny.  It should easily slide back and forth on the
pan so you can coat the entire pan with a thin layer.

Pour batter into a non stick pan (I use a 11 x 15 inch teflon coated pan).
Shake the pan from side to side to get the batter to cover the entire pan.
This may take a minute or so to accomplish.  It should make a thin layer on
the pan. Bake this crust at 425 for 10 minutes or until just turning golden
brown. Remove from oven and top with sauce and cheese. Return to oven and
bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer or until cheese melts and cooks.

This pizza takes a little practice at first, but becomes very easy and is
really great!! Let me know if you like it. It is basically the same recipe
as on page 160 of Bette Hagmans original book, except I have exchanged
olive oil for shortening and I prebake the crust before topping it.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Hi Chris,  I saw your message on the celiac list and I do have a great
recipe for pizza everyone loves it even the ones that can have wheat. My
husband says the crust is better than the ones you buy in a pizza
place....Go to an oriental store and buy 3 #'s of rice flour and 1# of
tapioca flour mix together real well for your gulten free flour, the good
part is that you only have $4.00 in total cost  itis better than the GF
free flour from enger. foods. Now for the recipe.
1 cup of GF flour
1 egg, beaten
1/4 to 1/2 teasp salt
1/4 to 1/3 cup milk
1teasp olive oil
1-1/2 teasp. xantham gum
GF cooking spray(such as pam)
Mix all ingd. well. Pat out the dough in a greased 10 inch pizza
pan.Bake for 10 mins. at 500 degrees Remove from oven and top with pizza
sauce and other toppings you want. Put it back in oven for 7 to 10 mins. or
until cheese melts.  I have a kitchen aid 350 watt mixer that I mixed it
with and I rolled it out with a rice flour covered cloth to fit the pizza
pan. Don't put all of the milk in at once, it may not need it all. I put
turkey sausage(fried first),mushrooms, ripe olives ,GFpizza sauce and
cheese. Ragu pizza sauce is GF. If you like this I will send you our bread
recipe that is terrific.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Here is the absolute best pizza crust recipe in the world.  You don't
need a bread machine, only a mixer.  It is from the book "Against the
Grain" by Jax Peters Lowell.

Yeast-Rising Thick Pizza Crust
makes two 12 1/2 inch pizzas  Serves 8 to 12
This crust freezes well.

         [This recipe has been removed from the logfiles, as]
         [it is copyrighted material---the CELIAC Listowners]

This pizza is absolutely THE best.  My wheat eater husband gobbles down
more than I do!
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Yummy Gluten-free Pizza

1 cup white rice flour              1/3 cup milk powder
1 cup tapioca flour                 2 tbsp shortening
1/2 tsp salt                        2 egg whites
1 1/2 tsp sugar                     3/4  cup water
2 tsp xanthan gum                   1 tbsp yeast

Put all ingredients in bread machine (except yeast...put in dispenser if
you have one or place it away from activating ingredients).  Set machine on
dough cycle. You may have to mix during first kneading to ensure that all
flour is mixed in and not clumping in the corners of the bread pan.  Once
cycle is complete dump the dough onto an ungeased pizza pan (non-stick
works well) and spread with a spoon or spatula until even (be prepared!
it's like spreading a sticky pudding, but trust...it turns out great).  Top
with sauce and cheese and other preferred toppings then bake in preheated
oven (400 degrees) for 20-22 minutes.  I also find that prebaking it for 15
minutes and then putting the topping on makes an even better finished product.