From:
Chris Silker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 10:33:47 -0500

Ok, one of my big concerns upon diagnosis was whether I'd be able to make
good chocolate chip cookies (esp dough, which is the best part IMO). After
a number of experiments, last night I was successful - I baked cookies that
don't crumble! Because the base recipe was from the Rebecca's cookbook
(sorry, I don't have the ordering information for this cookbook anymore -
try searching the archives) and is actually quite similar to the regular
Toll House cookie recipe, I'm not going to post the entire recipe, just the
modifications.

This recipe uses a little less butter/margarine than traditional Toll House
cookies - 3/4 cup, not 1 cup. Also, I always add an extra teaspoon or so of
vanilla. Instead of 1 tsp baking soda, use 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp
xanthan gum, and 1/2-1 tsp Clear Jell. I never use salt in this recipe. The
flour combination that I used was 1 c sweet rice flour and 1 c + 2-3 tbsp
gluten-free flour mix (I used the basic Hagman blend, with the wonderfully
fine rice flour from an Oriental market). I used 1 c Ghiradelli semi-sweet
choc chips.

The sweet rice flour made the biggest difference in decreased crumbliness.

Good luck and enjoy!

Chris Silker
Minneapolis, MN