From:
Joany Janicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 May 2000 10:37:28 EDT

I have recieved several emails from list members wanting to know what I have
found out about the gluten status of the new Jenny Craig Nutritional Meal
Bars.

Unfortunately, I have found the company to be incredibly unhelpful in
answering my questions.  For a two week period of time, I have left 5
messages for the nutritionist and the customer service rep, and have only
recently received a call back.  The customer service rep was going to check
with the food technician and get back to me on Friday, but I never heard from
her.  She did tell me that the company does not add any gluten (wheat, rye,
barley) to the bars that they claim to be gluten free (the oatmeal bars are
the exception), but she was unable to tell me what the source of the malt
extract was without conferring with the technician.  I am still working on
getting a definitive answer regarding the malt and am very skeptical about it
being gluten free.

Apparently, Jenny Craig is also owned by the same company that makes Balance
Bars.  So far, I am very unimpressed with this company in general for having
such poor customer service.

Joany Janicki, Washington, DC