From:
Joany Janicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 18:51:15 EDT

I was wondering if anyone has verified the gluten status of the new
Nutritional Meal Bars from Jenny Craig?  I saw them described in the Mambo
Sprouts Messenger as "appropriate for most people who are lactose or gluten
intolerant, diabetic or hypoglycemic."  The Jenny Craig web site also states
that 4 of the 5 flavors are gluten free, the exception being the Oatmeal
Raisin.  I even saw rice flour listed as one of the ingredients which leads
me to believe that they know what gluten is.

However, when I found their product at the store, one of the ingredients was
malt extract, and one chocolate bar had krispies made with malt flavoring -
the old rice krispie problem.  I am very dubious of  the malt, and have
called the company twice, and was told to leave a message with the
nutritionist both times.  I have not heard back from anyone for over a week
now.

Has anyone on the list talked to the nutritionist at Jenny Craig to confirm
the gluten status of the malt in these bars?

Thanks in advance,

Joany

Joany Janicki, Washington, DC