From:
Dawn Grassick Qld Biochemics Pty Ltd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 01:45:46 -0400

Hi Everyone

Having never seen any mention of CD in our press here in Queensland I was
pleased to see that it got a mention in yesterday's paper ('Allergy policy is
the bee's sneeze' by Graham Earle, The Sunday Mail, January 24).

Earle starts by complaining about people who say they have allergies when
they don't.  He puts this behaviour down to a fad and concludes that people
with genuine allergies (like him - he's a coeliac) get a bad name because of
this.  The article than goes on to tell about a woman who threw a major
tantrum because her GF meal missed her flight.  The cabin crew came up with a
GF alternative for her but in the end it turned out that she was not a
coeliac - she just liked the look of the GF meals a fellow passenger got on a
previous flight!

The article also explained that Qantas' lawyers wanted the airline to stop
supplying GF meals in case cabin crew inadvertantly added gluten-containing
food to the GF trays (eg.  glutinous bread rolls, etc.).  In the end a
compromise was reached and coeliacs will be given a declaration with their GF
meals (so the meals won't change - just their legal definition).  Earle
states that there are 8,000 registered Coeliac Society members in Australia
(That's less than 0.05% of our population!)

Regards

Dawn Grassick (Extention 427)
Regulatory Affairs Department,
Queensland Biochemics Pty Ltd, Brisbane, Australia
Tel:  Int + 61+7 + 3246 4444
Web Site:  www.goldenglow.com.au

'We are all of us in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars'
Oscar Wilde