From:
Andrea Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 18:56:38 -0500

Hello!

I have been a silent observer on this amazing list-serv since the end of
January, (this is my first post).

I am not a diagnosed celiac, though I recently had an anti-EMA blood test,
and I am hoping that there may be someone out there who can answer a
couple of questions I have.

1) My doctor was very reluctant to send me for blood screening (it took me
two months to convince him).  When he agreed, he only requisitioned the
anti-EMA test.  He said that a GI he consulted informed him that the other
two tests (IgG and IgA) are useful only in diagnosing pediatrics cases and
were unnecessary for adults.

All the reading I have done always refers to the screening for all three
sets of anti-bodies.  My results have not come back yet - and I am now
wondering whether or not they will be useful when they do.  Could anyone
confirm / refute this assertion for me?

2) When I do go for my results - what are the "numbers" for the anti-EMA
test which would imply negative vs. positive results?  (on the net
I have found numbers for specificity, but not actual example test results)

I do not exhibit many of the classic "celiac" symptoms, however my 28 year
old sister was recently biopsy confirmed (I am 26). That in
combination with low B12 levels, floating stools, and a persistent pain in
my lower right abdomen (which I have been told is from "stress"), led me
to encourage (coerce!) my doctor to order the blood test for me.

I would really appreciate any insight for my next trip to the Doctor's!

Thanks SO much!
Andrea Cox