From:
The Notte Family <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Notte Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 22:08:51 -0500

Hello list mates,

Are there any celiacs on the list who are also vegetarians? I could really use some information on how to succefuuly manage a wheat and a meat free diet! Suggestions on things to eat would be appreciated from others. Here is my story.
About 8 years ago I choose to become an ovo-lacto vegetarian (ate eggs & dairy products but no meat, poultry or seafood). Seafood grosses me out because I can't get past the smell of it. My diet USED to consist of lots of gluten laden carbs (pasta, breads, or bagels daily) plus a few meat substitutes (Garden burgers, Smart Dogs, Smart Ground) and of course lots of fresh vegetables and fruits. For protein, I would eat some dairy products, beans and tofu but lived primarily on carbs. My weight was good, my cholesterol levels were excellent, and I felt good.

A couple of months ago, I was biopsy diagnosed by Dr. Green with "highly active" celiac disease after my blood work came back positive as part of family screening for CD (both of my siblings have it.) I was basically asymptomatic and lead a very active life. Since the diagnosis, I have replaced my pastas and bread with GF ones but I've cut down on how often I eat them because the taste is not that great and the high price of them. They also don't seem to hold up to well when leftover and reheated. The meat substitutes I used to eat regularly all contain gluten. The one GF veggie burger I've found does not taste very good so I eat them infrequently. I'm eating more beans, cheeses, tofu and of course rice but I keep eating the same stuff over and over again. Pretty often I'm not satisfied with my meals and find myself eating more processed junk food (GF of course) than I ever ate!

I'm tossing around the idea of eating meat and poultry again to expand my food choices and have even tasted a couple of small bites, but I did not enjoy the flavor or texture of the meat and had a hard time trying to swallow it. Meat is not a forbidden item in my house and I cook it regularly for my husband and son.

Are there any other vegetarians out there with CD who can offer suggestions on how to expand my food choices? It would be appreciated. :)

Please no suggestions from meat eaters to go eat a cheeseburger! Thanks.

Joyce