From:
The Notte Family <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Notte Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:37:20 -0500

Dear Listmates,

I am a new subscriber and was recently diagnosed with CD through both blood work and a biopsy done this week. Both my brother and sister have CD so it came as no surprise despite only having very vague and minor symptoms myself.

My question is on information I recieved from the company that makes Tabasco hot pepper sauce. I sent them an email asking if their product contained gluten and here is an exceprt from their reply. I'm not really clear if it contains gluten or not. Seems like they are not really ansering my question. How do you decifer information like this?

Here is what they said:

McIlhenny Company uses a single supplier, National Vinegar Company in Houston, TX for all its vinegar needs. The raw material supplier to National Vinegar Company has assured us that in the process of making the distilled alcohol from grain, gluten and all other proteins are removed. Thus the vinegar is free of gluten.

As an added precaution, McIlhenny Company has tested all its sauces and vinegar to ensure that the product is gluten free. The tests were conducted by the Food Allergy Research and Resource Program at the University of Nebraska Lincoln. The detection limit of the test used was 0.016%. No gluten was detected in TABASCO® brand Pepper Sauce using this test.

It seems like it may be best to just avoid Tabasco brand and find another hot sauce that the manufactur will clearly state it is gluten free. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sincerely,
Joyce Notte