Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 21:38:10 -0600

I seem to be having a #$%@ of a time staying purely GF  ... self-diagnosed
last year  [2/18/98] ... doctor agreed w/me in June 1998.  First couple
of months were ye olde learning curve, seemed as though gluten snuck
through every 10 days or so ...

In July I vowed  [a la Scarlett, god as my witness]  zero tolerance  --
not one iota going in my mouth unless I have it in writing from the
company that its GF  ... Nearly made it 4 months, then pigged out
on Arrowhead Mills [potentially contaminated] cereal, symptoms
recurred  ...

Which is all a long way of saying:  I had this vision of perfectly
GFness, at least for 12 months, and yet somehow something
sneaks through despite best efforts ... do I just accept that gluten
will sneak in one, two, four times a year? Or do I become even
more zealot-y  in my zero tolerance?  sigh. Feeling a bit
beleaguered, would love to hear a success story or two ......

Just back from a business trip:  America West has no gluten-free
meal  ... and though my fruit plate was marked GFML  ... which
included  a bagel 2 out of 4 times. [and  perversely, my seatmates
were  munching on GF corn chips. ]

Emeril's in Las Vegas could not have been more, um, inflexible.
Huge disappointment, phoned ahead, all that rot ... waiter
dug in his heels and refused to even ask the chef what was
GF  ... <humph>  .... *lovely* salad. [twas a business dinner
or else I woulda had a hissy fit.]

The all-you-can-eat seafood buffet at the newly-opened Bellagio's,
however,  could not have been more accomodating. Everyone knew
who made what dish and, upon request, said chef was more
than happy to run down a list of ingredients. Most things were
off-limits  -- and the cross-contamination issue jeebed me, I'll
admit  --- but the seafood was awesome, as were the mashed
potatoes.

Tracey in Connecticut   GF lodging:  http://www.innseekers.com/feature.htm