From:
Diane Dufault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 08:36:37 CDT

I  think some of our frustration is from the gastroenterologists not willing
to perform a biopsy.  In my case, my child was diagnosed.  I went to my
Doctor and told him that I have had chronic diahrea since childhood, sores,
documented history of chronic anemia, severe lactose intolerant. etc.  He
said I weighed too much.  I weighed 130 pounds at the time.  I followed the
gluten free diet anyway with my son and cannot believe how I feeL.  My
anemia for the first time in my life has improved significantly, my stomach
has shrunk in size. I lost 15 pounds almost immediately.   My stools are
infrequent now and firm.  My headaches and skin rashes are gone.  I can go
on and on.      I FEEL GREAT.  So then I went back to the Doctor, and he said
well stay on the diet as he noticed the marked improvement in my anemia.  I
literally begged to get a referral to a Gastroenterologist.   Instead he did
the blood panel, which turned out negative.  I said I expected that as I had
been on the diet for a year.  But he said they would have still shown
positive as the gastroenterologist told him they would.  The
gastroenterologist told my G.P not to refer me. Thus, I have no referal and
no biopsy taken.

Diane Dufault
Assistant Director
Medical School Administration