From:
Diane Dufault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 1995 08:20:55 CDT

Is it unhealthy to be in a state of ketosis?  When I was younger, without
realizing it, I followed such a diet as I felt better,  obviously being a
gluten free diet.  (I didn't even know the word gluten at that time!)
However, at the time I was being followed by the health department due to
exposure to TB, and they were very concerned about ketones in my urine.  Now
I follow the diet as I now know about Celiac Sprue and  can tell from the
taste in my mouth, that it is happening again.  Does anyone know of the
damage done by following such a diet and having your body in ketosis
(whatever that means)?

As I remember the Aitken's diet, it would be virtually gluten free because it
>required eating a high level of proteins and fats and virtually zero carbs.
> Your body goes into ketosis because you are "living off" fat and protein for
>energy, something that is normally provided by carbs.  In fact, you were
>supposed to buy keto sticks at a pharmacy to check your urine for ketones, an
>indication that the "diet" was "working".  The drawback to the diet was that
>the minute you went off of it, and started eating a normal diet, that
>included carbs., you would gain the weight back.  In this day and age, with
>all we know about fat, it's obviously not at all healthy...but I suppose it
>was virtually free of gluten.

Diane Dufault
Assistant Director
Medical School Administration