From:
Becky Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Becky Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:34:59 -0600

Thank you to all who responded so quickly!! Here's a list of some of the ideas that came my way...

Brown your roast or whatever meat your cooking in the pan that your baking
it in, when the meat is cooked, remove the meat and add 2 cups water. Let it
simmer till all the brown bits stuck to the pan are loosened then add to it
gradually, 2 - 3 tB flour mixed with enough water and whisked smooth that
will thicken the liquid.  I also toss in one bouillion cube ( Herb Ox is
gluten free, both chicken and beef)  Add salt and pepper to taste.  I
personally like Sylvan border's all purpose flour mix for this but I'm sure
others work just as well. I although it to simmer gently for 2 or 3 min

Try Brown Gravy Mix from Glutino.  Makes 17 portions (2C each), and tastes excellent

You can order gravy mixes from Gluten Free Pantry in Glastonbury, CT

I take 2T of butter (or other fat) and melt it in a skillet.  When bubbly
slowly add 2 big spoons of GF flour.  I have used several GF flours and all
work.  Stir in with the bubbling butter.  It should made a paste.  I stir
with a wisk to keep it from lumping.  Slowly add warmed milk for cream
gravy.  OR add chicken stock for chicken gravy.  Add beef broth for beef
gravy.  Salt and pepper to taste

I found this cool stuff at Costco called Real chicken base (it comes in beef too.) It's by McCormick. I use it when I don't have drippings, anyway heat water, then add the base, mix cornstarch with a little water then stir it in to water base mixture heat and stir til thickened! Wala.....gravey. You will have to play with amounts, I don't measure I just kind of know how much I need or do it by taste. Careful with the cornstarch if you add too much it makes paste!! It's always better to do a little at a time ( it thickens as it gets hot) ( remember to add it to water first and mix it before you add it to the hot water base mix or just like flour it clumps and is yucky!!)

There is a gf gravy mix.  contact www.roadsendorganics.com or call
1-877-247-3373 to see if they sell to a store in your area.  I have not
tried it yet so not sure how it taste

If you can get Watkins products, try using their Beef and/or Chicken Soup & Gravy mix. It is great. They are Gluten Free. That is what I have been using since I can't use the gravy mixes either. I just mix some of their soup base with some GF flour mix and go from there. Everyone in my family seems to like it. Good luck.

You can make a very good gravy from Lipton's Onion Soup mix.  Add some GF
flour to the mix, add water, and cook until the flour is cooked and the
onion pieces are cooked.  I also use Onion Soup mix by pouring it over beef
and roasting it in the oven until the beef is fork tender.