From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:36:51 -0700

Often we hear of celiacs still having diarrhea weeks & even months after a
single gluten accident.  After all this time, one or two things are likely:
(1) the victim is getting gluten from some hidden source and/or (2) the
diarrhea from the gluten reaction triggered a case of dysbiosis which is a
self perpetuating illness, sometimes refered to as the "vicious cycle."

The vicious cycle can be broken, but it takes work & dedication to a special
diet.  The diet is called the specific carbohydrate diet.  Sometimes people
need it for only a few months, but it can take longer.  Some people have
such fragile GI tracks they have to stay on it permanently.  I only need it
from time to time if I've screwed up my diet somewhere.  It works like a
charm everytime I need it.

Dysbiosis is a term that refers to a serious imbalance of microorganisms in
the gut; too many of the bad bacteria &yeasts coupled with not enough of the
good bacteria & yeasts.  It causes diarrhea, gas bloating, abdominal pain,
nausea, etc. -- all that fun stuff!  The specific carbohydrate diet is
designed to restore a healthy balance of good guy germs to the GI track.
You can search the web for "Specific Carbohydrate Diet" or you can read
about in it a remarkable book which I credit as saving my life:  "Breaking
the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottshall.

Valerie in Tacoma