From:
Jules Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 13:38:23 PST

I'm afraid that Cindy responded inaccurately to Lisa's question re
casein-free products.
The O-U symbol with a "P" next to it absolutely does NOT mean dairy-free,
although as I will explain, it probably is.  The O-U + P means that the
product may be used for Passover, and is *gluten-free* UNLESS the
ingredients specifically mention "matzoh" products--Matzoh meal, matzoh
farfel, etc.   Theoretically, a product may have an O-U + P and be dairy!
Although the word dairy should also be on the label, of course.  Note
however that products that reasonable people should know are dairy, eg.,
cheese, may have an O-U + P without any mention of "dairy".
In general, the letter "P" NEVER stands for "pareve" on a "hechsher"--the
hebrew word for a Kosher certification.  It is always spelled out, but O-U
without any mention of "pareve" can be assumed to be dairy-free, and
meat-free, of course, except for the above cases, i.e., on milk or cheese,
etc.
By the way, there are other Kosher "hechshers" besides the O-U, but the
"plain - K" is not considered reliable.
I'll be happy to answer any other questions re this question, since
understanding these labels can be a tremendous convenience in shopping!

-"Lactose-intolerant, gluten-intolerant, and strictly Kosher in Riverside,
CA..."

>...Look for the "OU" symbol on labels.  It is
>a circle with a U inside of it.  If you see that, and there is a letter "D"
>next to it, then that product has dairy products in it.  If, instead, it
>has a "P" next to it, then it has NO diary or meat products in it.
>
>Howard J. Kass, CPA                        [log in to unmask]
>Cindy Koller-Kass                          Voice: (216)831-4141

J. F. Levin, Lit/Lang, UCR.  [log in to unmask]
909 787 5007