From:
kieran or donna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kieran or donna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 17:11:18 -0500

I've held off asking this, but really think I ought to see if you all can give me a clue as to what happened to me.  My symptoms were extreme abdominal pain and bloating that lasted a couple of days, followed by hair loss that started about 2 weeks later and has gradually slacked off in the 3 months since the "attack" to almost normal levels.  My hair is now about half as thick as it was before the "attack".
    Any one of 3 things could be the cause, and I don't know which, so I'm hoping you can help clarify.  First and simplest, I had bought some sausage from an organic farm who don't mix it themselves, the slaughterhouse does the mix so I don't know what's in it, but gluten is very seldom an ingredient in sausage, so I wasn't worried.  I ate this sausage the day before symptoms began, and again the next day, with symptoms even worse the day after.  BUT, I had also gone and gotten a pickup load of chicken manure and bedding from a broiler house two days before symptoms began, and wondered if it might have some wheat particles in the manure.  What I didn't anticipate was that fine dust from the very dry manure would drift in the windows while it was loaded, and then would blow in the entire 60 miles to get home.  Having been exposed so much already with no apparent symptoms, I also helped unload and carried buckets of it to all my fruit trees.  I truly would have expected some lung symptoms if this was the source of my reaction, as the historic disease "miller's lung" was probably a form of gluten intolerance.  But my symptoms were all abdominal.  And last of all, I have large uterine fibroids.  I'd been neglecting my iodine intake (iodine seems to help keep them under control, both through breaking down estrogen and getting my thyroid function up to normal) and my hormones were peaking those two terrible days, which tended to cause pain and swelling in the fibroids most months.  (Thank goodness that seems to be better, email me if you are interested in knowing what I have done about them.)  Of course I know that sudden changes in hormones can cause hair loss, always occurred to me after having a baby, and I know that low thyroid can cause hair loss.  But I worry that the chicken manure could be involved, and am afraid to get more even thought our garden really needs more.  I also handle chicken feed at home(carefully), as we have chickens and ducks, and have never noticed any reaction.  It really doesn't take much gluten to set me off, makes me grouchy.
    Any clues, anyone?  Anyone else handled feeds or manure, with or without reactions?  Thanks all in advance.  I probably won't summarize for the whole group, so if interested, ask me to send you a summary.   Thanks in advance.  Donna