From:
kieran or donna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kieran or donna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:48:46 -0500

I had an awful time with acid reflux at night for several years, and I
wouldn't even drink a sip of water in the late evening because that would
set it going.  Finally my husband found the cure in something by Dr.
Batmanghelid (author of YOUR BODY'S MANY CRIES FOR WATER).  He said it was a
water deficiency.  Now, if I drink enough water during the day, I never have
heartburn.  If I develop heartburn, 1-2 pints of water will get rid of it.
You might think this is a lot to drink at once, but actually, if I am
dehydrated enough to have heartburn symptoms, the water tastes wonderful.
    And yes, I agree with Valerie that antacids are bad for you, and even
more so for celiacs as our digestion tends to be under par anyway.  If you
have gone snooping outside this group, you may have found a group for
parents of autistic kids called something like "Off the GF diet with
Digestive Enzymes".  An autistic kid whose symptoms are controlled by a
restricted diet tends  to go bonkers if they cheat.  So if the enzymes are
working for them, there must be something to it.  Do you know how your
pancreas works?  It has a pH meter on it, and when acidic food leaves the
stomach, the pancreas dumps it's mixture of buffering agents and enzymes.
No acid leaving the stomach?  No digestive enzymes released.  If poor
digestion is even a portion of what causes celiac disease, what will
antacids do to us?  Just food for thought.    Donna